Author Topic: New Mk1 Cab owner. *pic added*  (Read 7193 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
Re: New Mk1 Cab owner.
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2011, 21:37 »
Hi Sarah! Nice to have you back  :kiss:

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 23 November 2011, 18:34 »
Looks faily tidy, :smiley:
Helios Blue LA5Y? iirc it's a MK2 Colour. The MK1 colour is slightly lighter.
Good to know if you need paint.
The paint code should be on the cross member visible from inside the boot.
Does it have a kind of purple flip in the sun light?
If it's got fine red pinstripes running through the blue cloth on the seats it's a quartette model.
As for the hood, personally I would not buy one with a ripped roof as it's gonna only get worse and is generally a sign of poor aftercare and age related degradation. :undecided:
It's usually a bargaining point though. You can replace the hood yourself though, it sounds like you got some experience too, but can be pricey if you have the fitters out, plus the headliner, if that's stained beyond cleaning or ripped, you need to replace it at the same time as you cannot retrofit it afterwards as all the fixings are under the hood. Consider replacing the interliner and pad too at the same time, so you get a nice smooth finish, as these wear thin and the frame pokes through.
Worth spending the extra if it's a keeper and you won't need to touch it again and it will look smart.
Watch out for dripping around the latching handles. Very common on Cabby's, staining on the seats can be atributed to that also.
loose carpet at the door edges LOL. Rust staining on the parcel shelf usually from the rear window frame.
If your taking the rear clears off, put them on E bay, someone will buy them.

It's all good fun sorting them out, especially when you get the roof down in the summer, brilliant.

I loved driving mine.

Good times, enjoy  :grin:

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 23 November 2011, 21:44 »
Roof does have a tear but there's no sign of water damage. She's a keeper so I'm pretty happy to fix her up. Hubby has yrs and yrs of experience (we met via this site!) so pretty sure we can work something out.

She has full service history and has been well taken care of so we're pretty happy. I'm not sure if she's helious blue, will have to check in the am. I still have cans of LA5Y paint in the garage as hubby had a valver in that colour but I think this is slightly lighter but will have to see.

Will be coming to you for lots more questions no doubt.

Always always wanted a cab. Happy just doesnt cover it.  :smiley:

Been 7 years since I drove a mk1 bloody brilliant!!
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 23 November 2011, 22:56 »
A tear is a hole, which water will get through although there may be no signs of water.
The centre pads are fairly absorbent, being made from Horse hair.
If you fold the roof halfway down lift the outer skin and have a look with the torch.
the Pad cover (inter-liner) usually disentegrates, exposing the pad, which rubs against the inside of the hood.
This wears them thin.

side tear can turn into this

worn pad shows the frame sections through the cover.

Full service history is a really good sign too.
At least you can see how well it's been looked after.
I had a Helios Blue and sold it, did loads to it as well, the Guy I sold it to sends me pics of where he has been in it. Good to know someone else is using her and looking after her as well as I did too.

I would reccomend getting a wind blokker, they are great at cutting the wind pressure (saves blowing long hair about into knots, I tried to get my Mrs to wear a head scarf lol, just to see if I could!!!!LOL) and noise in the cabin and with the heaters on you can extend the use in cooler weather as the temp comes down at the end of the summer.
It's great you got experience too, will come in very handy, that's why I like VW, easy to fix up and no really complicated tools.

Good luck with the project I reckon it's gonna look great when you and your Fella worked your magic on her.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2011, 09:02 »
This young lady rips out dashboards so she is quite capable! :grin:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 24 November 2011, 10:35 »
I am sure that between Her and Her Husband, the car is gonna be great.

Be great to see some pics as it's being done and when it's finished.

A thread showing the work is all way's great as it can inspire others.

They sound really enthusiastic towards the VW's and between them have a wealth of experience too.
Experience that's valuable to others too.

Put me in front of an engine that's me lost. I'd spend more time scratching my head.
That's why Forums are good to expand your knowledge base.

I don't know them to doubt or are am I certainly doubting their capabilities, just imparting some knowledge if folks want to heed it they can or they may all ready know it. Or simply choose to ignore it.

Just my experiences ownership and of fitting roofs.

Knowledge is power.

I wish I had the knowledge and information when I did mine, would of saved a lot of aggro. lol

peace out. :grin:

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 24 November 2011, 13:18 »
Roof shall def be changed so I'll be calling on your knowledge!!

Im really lucky that I have access to a garage I can use that has pretty much every tool I could need and it's heated :)

Seats in back are light blue but front are dark with red thru it. I'm gonna source some new ones that should have been there but figured that would be best after the winter :) paint code is helious blue (I used to call Brads gayeous blue so he's having fun with that lol!!!)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 24 November 2011, 13:43 »
Roof shall def be changed so I'll be calling on your knowledge!!

Im really lucky that I have access to a garage I can use that has pretty much every tool I could need and it's heated :)

Seats in back are light blue but front are dark with red thru it. I'm gonna source some new ones that should have been there but figured that would be best after the winter :) paint code is helious blue (I used to call Brads gayeous blue so he's having fun with that lol!!!)

when are you looking to get the roof done and who by and how... I need to get mine done at some point, probably in the new year so we might be able to combine buying power

there is some dude on the mk1 OC who can supply everything

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 24 November 2011, 17:31 »
I'm gonna do it  :smiley: me the hubby n the mechanics at the garage. Could be interesting  :grin:

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 24 November 2011, 17:32 »
« Last Edit: 24 November 2011, 17:34 by Golfgal »