Author Topic: a river runs through it..  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
a river runs through it..
« on: 08 November 2009, 22:18 »
so its been raining a bit recently...

and I go to use the cabby the other day and wonder why the windows are very misty and the mats have a bit of water on them...

then I look a bit closer and see this...

it was like this both front and rear, passenger and driver side  :sad:

so took the seats out and set to work with george

as you can see the amount of water extracted was significant...

there was nearly twice this amount!!

standing water all extracted

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/4086757505_e09bb2a140.jpg

i don't want this thread to be about the extraction or the cleaning as such... i'm pissed off after the two days i spent on the carpet only a couple of months ago... but I wanted to know possible water leak sources

I found a blocked drainage grommet in the scuttle panel... but the top of the front carpet doesn't appear to be wet... the carpet (both front and back) was only wet along the bottom... although the passenger footwell had some that was a bit higher

there are two rips in the hood which don't appear to have leaked much/at all... the rear shelf and the boot are both dry (bit damp but that is to be expected after the amount of water that has been in the car) and if these were the sources of the leak I would expect the surrounding area to have signs of water damage and there isn't

so... apart from the hood... and the blocked grommit in the scuttle - is there anywhere else that I should be checked for sources of water ingress?
« Last Edit: 08 November 2009, 22:22 by Guy »

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
Re: a river runs through it..
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2009, 22:42 »
thats sucks abit, considering all the work you put into getting them clean  :sad:

Good to see you got it all cleaned up tho, hope you find where the leak is coming from :afro:

Dan

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2009, 23:35 »
water could be getting in between the hood seals and the hood ie seeping thru , water will then drip down and depending where the drip is may miss the seats altogether

get some vasaline and run a thick bead along the top of the hood seal where it meets the roof put loads in there and then run your finger along like you would when you use silicone sealant and wipe off excess also wipe over the seal themselves and wipe off.
then put more vasaline around the front hood seal where it meets the top of the door A pillar

i think water can also get in if the drain holes in the doors and sills are blocked as water will run down inside of door/ rear quarter glass

mine leaked at top of A pillar and between hood seal and roof and this solved it next time its p*ssing down sit in car and watch for leaks

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2009, 06:39 »
thanks dan - was gutted but it just means that i'll have to do it again properly at some point... fortunately I hadn't fitted new underlay yet!

thanks raferackstraw - where are the drain holes in the doors and sills pls?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2009, 09:09 »
take the doorcards off, make sure the plastic membranes behind them are sealed to the door fully. if not this is what you'll get! i doubt the hood and roof seals would lead to this much water getting in, mine leaked pretty badly from both front seals but it was never this bad, just have a bit of a damp floormat and seat.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2009, 09:15 »
As above I would check the door membranes.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2009, 15:05 »
the drain hole are at the back of the sills [an oblong hole] on the sides of the sills [again oblong but looks like it has a small shroud] and on the doors at the bottom of inner skin, if you have a haynes manual there is pics in the bodywork section

but as rj says it probably the membrane but what i pointed out will also ensure a dry cabin no matter what the weather

if you need new membrane hit b&q and look for builders plastic membrane or if your anywhere near north london sometime i have loads

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2009, 17:14 »
thanks guys... she's under a cover for tonight as I haven't had time to check as I have been working... however I  will have a proper look tomorrow at the doorcard membranes and associated drainage holes and report back  :wink:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2009, 17:19 »
just check the bottom the door cards, i

f they are dry then i would say your membranes are ok ,

if they are soaked ( they would have to be seeing how much wet stuff there ) then look deeper  :undecided:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2009, 17:25 »
just check the bottom the door cards, i

f they are dry then i would say your membranes are ok ,

if they are soaked ( they would have to be seeing how much wet stuff there ) then look deeper  :undecided:

i have done... but want to double check... the door cards come off in about 3.4 nano seconds anyway... i might just double bag it to be certain

i am not sure but i have a feeling the water ingress might be from the seal at the front of the car where the roof meets the crossmember on top of the windscreen... i might try and tighten the seal up a bit using the handle adjusters and then seal with vaseline/wax for winter