Author Topic: A Victim of Hit & Run  (Read 3652 times)

Offline maxamus

• I live here
Re: A Victim of Hit & Run
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2007, 17:08 »
UPDATE 2

Garage has just rang me. Said they have carried out a Geometry test, which is to check the wishbones, suspension and the chassis.
They said all is in order and not damaged.

He also said he has got the go-ahead from my Insurance company to go ahead and repair it. He said he will be ordering the parts today. The car will be ready for me to pick it up on 03/08/2007 (which seems an eternity).

Things he said he will be doing:

- respraying the bonnet to remove scratches
- refurbing the alloys
- new front bumper and grill
- new side panel (passenger side)
- new rear panel (passenger side)
- all panels painted
- new side skirt (passenger side)

Im just wondering, would they carry out any extrawork if i instructed them and pay for it myself?

Offline Cass

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2007, 21:07 »
UPDATE 2

Im just wondering, would they carry out any extrawork if i instructed them and pay for it myself?

In all probability - yes. There is generally a price for insurance work (high) and a separate rate for private work (lower). While they have the car in for repair, I am sure you could negotiate a good price for any other work you would like done - just negotiate hard and settle the bill separately :wink:

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2007, 21:14 »
Odd its normally the otherway here when insurance companys have a contract with a bodyshop. High price for private work and a much lower hour rate for insurance work.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2007, 21:16 by Snowman »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline wellsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2007, 21:25 »
A friend has just had some insurance work done on his golf and asked them to respray his bonnet and bumper to remove stone chips.  He only had to pay £60 on top of his excess when he collected the car.  Bargain!
2002 TDI PD 150 - 3DR - Reflex Silver
2007 GTI DSG - 3 DR - Blue Graphite

Offline Cass

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2007, 21:35 »
Odd its normally the otherway here when insurance companys have a contract with a bodyshop. High price for private work and a much lower hour rate for insurance work.

Not at an OPC bodyshop :rolleyes:

Would always insist on an official dealer bodyshop repair for this type of work on a newish car.

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2007, 23:18 »
"Nationwide accident and repair" are doing my repairs.

I might ask them to colour code all my bumpers and fit R32 smoked rear lights.

Although my bonnet was not touched or hurt in the accident, i put some deep scratches in it myself (ye i know what your thinking) as it did have some stone chip damage and they are respraying it  :grin:

Likewise with two alloys that i kerbed  :grin: which are getting refurbed

Every little helps  :smiley: saved me atleast £500 from my own pocket.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2007, 10:15 »
UPDATE 2

Garage has just rang me. Said they have carried out a Geometry test, which is to check the wishbones, suspension and the chassis.
They said all is in order and not damaged.

Hmmm . . . . something needs further clarification.  In an earlier post, you said the steering felt strange.  Either the geometry IS out, or some damaged body panels are snagging a wheel - I'm guessing you now have it back after the repair - does the steering now feel OK ??

I don't know if it is now too late, but ask for the printout from the alignment check.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2007, 11:39 »
Sounds like not all is lost, got some refurbishment work done out of it.

Love the idea of putting your own scratches in it the bonnet. Its a dog eat dog world out there guys. Fair play to you.

Hope it all looks better than new when you get it back. I had similar incident in a car park, dents and scratches over my rear wheel arch, not a note or nothing. £200 out my pocket to get it sorted. Could have bought a 360 or something with that but these things happen.