Author Topic: Insurance Premiums for the 'youngens'  (Read 7346 times)

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
Re: Insurance Premiums for the 'youngens'
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2012, 11:44 »
Without forgetting the 'young at heart' lot :tongue: I'm interested in knowing how much some of the ~25years pay for their modified Golfs and what companies you'd usually use?

I'm with Admiral at the minute and they're pretty piss poor. I've got a list of minor upgrades I want to do to my Golf at the minute (alloys,minor trim, tints, stereo etc) and a little worried about my premium spiking. I recently swapped my address with them and found my premium raised by £150 to a staggering £1,050 now (I'm 22)... It's only the 105 BHP Golf as well :rolleyes: It's not like it's a bloody GTI or even the 2.0 TDI..

More than anything you drive, what you do to the car, who you are. Location has the single biggest impact on your premium.
I've moved around a the country quite a bit, and it does work both ways. Admiral have always been reasonable with me.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2012, 11:48 by xxChrisxx »

Offline clancy

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2012, 13:06 »
Without forgetting the 'young at heart' lot :tongue: I'm interested in knowing how much some of the ~25years pay for their modified Golfs and what companies you'd usually use?

I'm with Admiral at the minute and they're pretty piss poor. I've got a list of minor upgrades I want to do to my Golf at the minute (alloys,minor trim, tints, stereo etc) and a little worried about my premium spiking. I recently swapped my address with them and found my premium raised by £150 to a staggering £1,050 now (I'm 22)... It's only the 105 BHP Golf as well :rolleyes: It's not like it's a bloody GTI or even the 2.0 TDI..

More than anything you drive, what you do to the car, who you are. Location has the single biggest impact on your premium.
I've moved around a the country quite a bit, and it does work both ways. Admiral have always been reasonable with me.

location is the killer, i moved from a town to the city and my insurance went up £600
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline koopa

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2012, 19:46 »
I'm 22... nearly 23, had my licence 5 years with 4 years ncb and pay £750 for my mk5 gti with admiral which I rekon is pretty decent  :grin:

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2012, 09:15 »
Had my mk3 through HIC - was 22/23 car was a 1.4, decked on coilies and 16's, interior all upgraded from a GTI and stereo. Was just under £800 with 1 years NCB. I was living in buaghurst too so just down the road from Kingsclere.

Now living in Fleet with a Mk4 GTTDI, stock - £460 through HIC with 2 years NCB
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline 91Onions

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2012, 08:53 »
Only joined this forum about a month ago and found it really helpful! I'm 20 and just insured my mk2 8v gti with sky insurance claimed g60's, coilovers and straight through pipes and got a quote of 1290 which was the cheapest i could find! The highest was chuffin 9 GRAND!!!

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2012, 09:36 »
Only joined this forum about a month ago and found it really helpful! I'm 20 and just insured my mk2 8v gti with sky insurance claimed g60's, coilovers and straight through pipes and got a quote of 1290 which was the cheapest i could find! The highest was chuffin 9 GRAND!!!

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback  :cool:

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

Offline eamonnism

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 09 April 2012, 12:02 »
In my first years insurance, which runs out today, i paid £3600. My renewal price was £4803! :sick:
I didnt get a no claims bonus due to a bump last year. Admiral are my cheapest quote so far with £3500 for this year.  :sad:

Offline Jimbo0206

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 09 April 2012, 16:06 »
I pay 2200 for mk4 gti t with privelege im 22 had licence 3 n half year but havnt got any ncb. No other insurance companies qouted me less than 3000 i think sky was over 4000

TeddyKGB

« Reply #28 on: 09 April 2012, 18:48 »
I think at your age, Admiral, Bell & Elephant (that group of companies) is your best bet on price for this sort of car. I have been with them since I was 22 and they have always been the best priced at around the same figures you are quoting. Everywhere else was generally asking for 3k, if they would insure you at all.

Now I am an old git pushing 30 they are taking the pi*ss as the price hasn't dropped much. I have recently found a quote for £600 and will be moving come renewal.

Apparently Admiral's customer service/claims support is crap mind, touch wood you never need it

Have a play with adding different combinations of your mrs/mum/dad as named drivers as this can knock the premium down _a lot_

**EDIT**
God I feel old reading this thread
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 18:51 by Oops my bad »

TeddyKGB

« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2012, 18:56 »
Also I read your credit rating can have an impact on your premiums - theory is that those who have a poor credit rating where more likely by several factors to have an accident. Dunno how they work that out. As such, each time you get a quote you have a credit check and a "silent" footprint left on your credit file.

So might be worth seeing how your credit rating is too and making sure it's the best it can be?