Author Topic: If I don't have a car and there's a couple of weeks left on insurance...  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
As some may know my car will be getting scrapped at the end of this month. I am looking for a replacement but wanted to know something. My insurers made me pay a certain amount for my deposit and told me they'd use that for my last two months (which they are).

My last payment would be due  mid-July, but this is already paid for, my car is going at the end of the month to the scrapyard. This means I will be carless for about two weeks whilst insurance is still running on it.

Two things really:

1. Is this going to cause a problem? If I remain carless until my insurance runs out will this matter?

2. If I do manage to get a replacement car before the insurance ends, what will I have to do? I don't want to cancel the policy as that'll  be pointless.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
I don't know this for fact, but common sense must provale here.

I think as long as they are getting paid by you to insure the car, I dont think they give a sh!t if its at the bottom of the sea, as long as you pay them.

As for a replacement car I cant see why it would be a problem for you have two policys ? ?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
^ unless you need the policy to complete in order to have another year no-claims.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
^ unless you need the policy to complete in order to have another year no-claims.

Yeah this is my only problem, as I will have 2 NCB when this policy finishes in August. Mind you in saying that the quotes I've been getting have been for 1 NCB, so I could always use the 1 as having 2 actually made no difference for me.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
can't actually use no-claims on more than one policy at a time, so technically it would not be valid :tongue:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Use public transport for 2 weeks? Wait 2 weeks to scrap the car?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
As some may know my car will be getting scrapped at the end of this month. I am looking for a replacement but wanted to know something. My insurers made me pay a certain amount for my deposit and told me they'd use that for my last two months (which they are).

My last payment would be due  mid-July, but this is already paid for, my car is going at the end of the month to the scrapyard. This means I will be carless for about two weeks whilst insurance is still running on it.

Two things really:

1. Is this going to cause a problem? If I remain carless until my insurance runs out will this matter?

2. If I do manage to get a replacement car before the insurance ends, what will I have to do? I don't want to cancel the policy as that'll  be pointless.

1) no problems really.

2) will they not insure your replacment car if not and you start another policy you will lose a years no claims

Offline archie837

• I live here
As above really. I left my bike insurance running to get another ncb even though I sold the bike a while before it ended. But yeah can't you get them to swap the policy to your new car for an admin fee?
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
As above really. I left my bike insurance running to get another ncb even though I sold the bike a while before it ended. But yeah can't you get them to swap the policy to your new car for an admin fee?

If you do this one just don't tell 'em it's sold/scrapped. I sold my bike, left the policy running to get NCB and only told 'em I'd sold it after they tried to charge me £25 to change address. They then tried to stiff me for £30 for cancelling the policy, even though premium had been paid in full on purchase....
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....

Offline mboon

• GTI forum regular
off topic, why you scraping it... seen it around and it looks tidy?

as for insurance, dont cancel etc as its a waste, just pay it and leave it.
Start a new policy after this one has run out, that way you free up your first year and can use the second year too.

No claims is just a piss take now anyway, used to be 1 year = 10% off, call them and get a price with out no claims, then tell them you have two years and expect 20% off the price, bet you dont get it lol
Part of the GTi 16v Flying Squad and the Special Forces //M Department