Author Topic: Archies Volksrod - []o\_|_/o[]  (Read 88245 times)

nige_s

Re: Archies Volksrod - Lots of new pics.
« Reply #80 on: 07 July 2011, 12:11 »
Ive done beam adjusters before but the ones i used, you had to cut the whole section out to weld the adjuster in. What's the extension piece do on the front of the frame head?

You must have fitted Sway Way type ones which requires axle tube be cut, in the past I've just bought a whole new beam with adjusters fitted as the original beam was usually shot anyway.  Extension piece is to push the wheels forward for that hotrod stance.

Great project by the way.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #81 on: 07 July 2011, 12:28 »
Ive done beam adjusters before but the ones i used, you had to cut the whole section out to weld the adjuster in. What's the extension piece do on the front of the frame head?

You must have fitted Sway Way type ones which requires axle tube be cut, in the past I've just bought a whole new beam with adjusters fitted as the original beam was usually shot anyway.  Extension piece is to push the wheels forward for that hotrod stance.

Great project by the way.

It was a good few years ago.  The beam was in good nick.  :wink: Not looked at the aircooled stuff recently, Does that not cause clearance problems with the wings? Or does the front need changing too?

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

nige_s

« Reply #82 on: 07 July 2011, 12:30 »
He'll be running without wings, this might give you an idea:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #83 on: 07 July 2011, 12:30 »
Yea, just realised after posting :grin:

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 07 July 2011, 13:11 »
Ah Sunday is a bit packed as it's the Gp. If I get the weekly shop done on Sat I'll try and pop up sunday morning. My life is so rock and roll. :grin:

nick

The GP's boring to watch!

Nah understand. Probably won't be there till 11 by the time I pull my ar5e outta bed in fleet.

Yeah I looked at the sway away type, but got suckered in by these as they were CSP branded lol.

That black one looks ok, sitting high on the back but pretty cool still. There's the black one on red steels doing the show circuit at the moment in the uk. Think he's done all the rod and dub shows and there was a pic in golf + this/last month. Don't really like that one, but he seems to be getting exposure everywhere which is good I guess.

Mines gonna be coolerthough!!

Maybe.
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #85 on: 07 July 2011, 13:31 »

DATP-13 by Nicholas R Horne, on Flickr

I love it, if yours is better I will worship at your alter of godlyness.

Nick

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #86 on: 07 July 2011, 13:34 »
That's bad ass!  :cool:

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 07 July 2011, 13:42 »
That's it. Was looking closer and talking to the guy. Right - this is all my opinion and personal

Wheels are too small on the front, perfect look is in line or above the top of the bonnet.
It's on radial tyres - crossplys look a million times better.
The roofchop is heavy on the back, so has made the rear windows a really weird shape.
A beetles the hardest thing to roofchop due to it curving front to back and side to side and when looking at this one it had a few flat spots in it.
The rear wheels are cambered loads - standard territory when lowering a beetle, but doesn't suit the rod look.
He's still got an engine lid on it, but no rear arches so the shape is odd at the back.
And it's satin black! All that work and no paint!

This is all personal to me though and I am having a lot of help to do mine, which the owner of the one above didn't have from talking to him. But this is slowly slowly catchy monkey.

PD150 Anni daily

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #88 on: 07 July 2011, 13:48 »
This is more like it!!!!

PD150 Anni daily

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #89 on: 07 July 2011, 13:52 »
^^ now that's smart.. nice chop on it too  Not sure I could cope with the tints though.