Author Topic: MK7 GTI - Coolant Code Faults  (Read 1173 times)

Offline JackB96

• Not said much yet
MK7 GTI - Coolant Code Faults
« on: 23 February 2024, 18:43 »
Hi guys,

In need of some direction please, car is on 92k, and presented the following today;

ACC fault
EML
Temp Gauge fluctuating
*after 10-15 mins of further driving*
EPC Light
Engine RPM limit to 3k
Temp gauge now sitting just above Red
Fans engaged
Weird electrical noise when switching ign’ off and on

I’m presuming, a lot of these are fail safes the vehicle has put in place, as the car isn’t overheating and isn’t losing any coolant. I had to limp it home from the supermarket, and everything looked and felt like it should (under the bonnet).

It’s already had the thermostat and water pump job done by VW a few years ago in its life. Always serviced within VW.

As there isn’t anything visually wrong, I’m not sure whether this points toward another faulty water pump & thermostat, and that it might be a sensor having a domino effect on other related sensors.

I have a basic scan tool, which brought up P2556 (engine coolant level, sensor/switch) and then later on after the EPC light, a P00B7 (engine coolant flow, low/performance), again I don’t know if the latter code is a trip from the initial fault.

Any direction, as to where and which sensors would be worth checking/replacing, at home (if possible), before looking at forking out would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jack
MK7 GTI (PP) - 320bhp, Manual
MK3 Leon FR TDI - 220bhp
MK2 Leon FR - 260bhp
Nissan Pulsar GTI-R N14 - 350bhp
Subaru WRX (GC8) - 230bhp

Offline JackB96

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7 GTI - Coolant Code Faults
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2024, 18:48 »
PS:

If any of you more experienced members, should think it actually is ANOTHER water pump/thermostat failure, do you know how likely VW are to re-fix this? When I bought the vehicle, it was one of the first questions I asked, if it had already been done, and the tech told me that recurrent failures are uncommon due to the revised parts used.

Any exp/knowledge here would be great, should I need it.

Cheers!
MK7 GTI (PP) - 320bhp, Manual
MK3 Leon FR TDI - 220bhp
MK2 Leon FR - 260bhp
Nissan Pulsar GTI-R N14 - 350bhp
Subaru WRX (GC8) - 230bhp

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2024, 18:05 »
How old is the Battery? Mine threw loads of codes and played up when the battery failed.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2024, 18:33 »
The previous water pump repair will carry a 12 month warranty IIRC, so it'll be down to you.

Low coolant flow and the symptoms listed would indicate to me another problem with the water pump.  :sad:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.