Author Topic: Do I buy this MK3  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Tommytreetrunk

• Just got here
Do I buy this MK3
« on: 18 August 2023, 11:56 »
Hi,

apologies, new to the forum, I posted in the New Forum Members section but then noticed the MK3 specific board, don't mean to spam and post the question all over the place.

I've got my eye on a 1996 MK3 Golf 1.4, I think its a GL or CL but I'm not sure (I'm new to the VW scene so dont know all the ins and outs yet)

Anyway, it looks clean, done 51k and 1 owner from new. I've checked the previous MOT's, mileage seems correct and work seems to have been carried out but I've noticed some black stuff in the engine bay below the cold ait intake. I'm wondering what would cause this and if its cause for concern before I commit to buying.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers!

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
Re: Do I buy this MK3
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2023, 07:30 »
I’d say you’re safe, depending on the price that it.

In all honesty, that engine bay looks pretty tidy, I have seen much worse. There are a couple of non-covered belts there and they do wear over time and leave deposits, this is most likely what you’re seeing, that and 25 odd years of grime.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2023, 07:42 »
A one owner Golf of that age and mileage is a pretty rare find. I would snap it up if tidy.
It's going to cost you on things like bushes and shocks but if you can do the work yourself it will be fun and certainly a future classic.

Offline Tommytreetrunk

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2023, 16:16 »
Hi all!

I bought it. Now the proud owner on a 1996 Golf CL 1.4 in Dragon Green.
One owner from new, just over 51k on the clock.
After closer inspection there are a few bits that need work but they’re not deal breakers.
The aerial in the front fender is stuck which I think is quite common but and easy-ish fix.
Drivers wing mirror is cracked, again an easy and cheap fix.
Headliner is starting to sag but it’s very minor in patches so not something that needs looking at immediately.
It’s had the water pump done and the cambelt changed. Aside from that it’s completely stock and in really good condition, zero rust from what I can see.
Here’s more pictures of the full car: