Author Topic: Infotainment Differences  (Read 2912 times)

Offline moebiusuk

• Not said much yet
Infotainment Differences
« on: 19 January 2022, 11:21 »
Hi all

I'm a MK7 GTI owner but my friend wants to buy a normal 1.4 MK6 as his first car. Anyway, I'm not familair with MK6 infotainment systems and we've found two cars that he likes but with two different looks. Can anyone name the differences between the two systems? It seems that SatNav is the only difference, is that right?

Thank you!

2019 Golf GTI PP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Infotainment Differences
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2022, 12:17 »
Sat Nav on the RNS510 in the second picture will be the main difference (top picture is of the RCD510). I found this summary of features for the various VW systems which might be of help;

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/973306d1345600984-falling-love-again-story-czech-maiden-skoda-yeti-differences-between-music-system-models.pdf
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline moebiusuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2022, 12:21 »
That's amazing, thank you. Looks like SatNav and resolution are the big differences.
2019 Golf GTI PP

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2022, 13:38 »
I had a Mark 6 GT 2.0 TDI which was missing blu tooth so watch out for this if it is going to be needed.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2022, 14:58 »
I had a Mark 6 GT 2.0 TDI which was missing blu tooth so watch out for this if it is going to be needed.

Good point. My 2011 mk6 GTD had the RCD510 but it didn’t have Bluetooth. It was an extra cost option back in 2011.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline moebiusuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2022, 15:03 »
Thanks guys! The RCD510 photo I posted above has a "Phone" button, do you think this means the car has Bluetooth?
2019 Golf GTI PP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2022, 15:47 »
Thanks guys! The RCD510 photo I posted above has a "Phone" button, do you think this means the car has Bluetooth?

I think all the genuine OEM RCD510 units for the UK market have a phone button. Mine had a phone button and it didn’t have Bluetooth. I think it can be added retrospectively though - I can vaguely remember some forum members did this, although I may be wrong as I’m going back 10 years or so.

If you use the forum search function (use the advanced search function so you can restrict your search to the  mk6 forum board) you’ll probably find some old discussion threads on the subject.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2022, 16:29 »
I retrofitted a Bluetooth module to my mk6 with a RCD510 radio. You need a bluetooth module that fits under the passenger seat,  an additional wiring harness and a microphone to give you phone connectivity and voice control for dialing and talking. You need to be careful which  Bluetooth module you get as not all are compatible with all mobile phones and not all can stream music. I think I found a useful table of part numbers and what each module does on the Ross tech website. You also need to code the changes for the module to be recognised. I think the total cost was about £100. The largest cost was the wiring harness at about £50.
The phone button only works with the Bluetooth module fitted and is used to pair your phone. My car now has the phone paired, recognises when I ask it to call a person using the microphone button on the steering wheel  - eg call Joe, and the phone book is visible in the small screen and can be used to also select and make calls.

Later rcd 510 radios I believe had Bluetooth built in but not sure. The rns 510 does not.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline moebiusuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2022, 16:32 »
That's awesome, encyclopedic knowledge from all of you, it's much appreciated it. We're viewing the car tomorrow so we'll test for Bluetooth then but even without, at least we know the option to retrofit OEM bluetooth is a possibility.
2019 Golf GTI PP

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2022, 18:56 »
My Mk6 came with the bog standard RCD 310 (no bluetooth, no satnav). I bought an RNS 315 from ebay and fitted it. Dead easy. The RNS 315 has built in bluetooth so no need to add the bluetooth module somewhere like you would have to with other models. My car did have a dealer fitted hands free kit in it which included a microphone and some crappy touch screen thing fitted to the dashboard. I removed that and figured out the wiring to get the mic to work with the RNS 315. I also did some coding with OBD11 to get the phone to show up in the dashboard etc. (don't think it was really necessary). I'd never done it before and found it quite easy to figure everything out with plenty of Google etc.

So if you really want this stuff but the car doesn't have, just go on ebay and budget for an RNS 315.
2010 Mk6 GTI