Author Topic: Gearbox problems  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
Gearbox problems
« on: 03 December 2021, 19:18 »
Now the weather has become colder, by gearbox is showing some problems when it's cold. Shifting between 1st and 2nd is hard. It doesn't really want to come out of 1st and when going into 2nd it's then like the synchro is bad and it will grind if I try to push it hard without giving it time. When everything warms up it's fine.

When I had my clutch changed I know he changed the gearbox oil but I'm pretty sure it wasn't VW oil, just some generic synthetic oil. Could this be the problem?
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Gearbox problems
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2021, 18:29 »
Depends if it was the correct grade and spec.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2021, 09:25 »
I suppose it wasn't. I can't remember how much I drove the car in the cold last winter. I definitely haven't noticed any problems before now. I'm not looking forward to if I have to drive and it's truly freezing out. I might have to start double declutching to get to shift. Although it's getting it out of first that is slightly more concerning.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2021, 10:59 »
You could always get it changed and see how it Is then before looking at other measures.
It could be the selector cables are starting to ware and dry up or need adjustment.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2021, 16:06 »
I would realign your linkage before looking for any further problems.

If you've had your clutch changed, then they would of had to remove/realign the gear linkage. It's something that takes a little finesse, and you don't always get it first time.

Especially if 1st/2nd are very hard to get in, and 5th/6th are like butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo