Author Topic: Folding mirrors retro fit - Questions & Guide/advice  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Nino

• I live here
Folding mirrors retro fit - Questions & Guide/advice
« on: 17 October 2023, 10:41 »
Morning all,
Having finally purchasing a legal vagcom cable  :whistle: I have to say, after many years of using *cough* naughty cables, I cannot beleive how much faster the officail one is.

Anyway....

On my Ed35, I have already enabled Dail sweep, Alarm cherp when car is locked and the other normal cool things.

I would like to retrofit folding mirrors and understand that I will need the following;
  • Power folding drivers mirror
  • Drivers eletronic module
  • Power folding passenger mirror
  • Passenger eletronic module
  • Replacement windows switch for drivers door

What I would like to do is be able to have the mirrors auto fold when I lock the car (I understand that you need to hold the lock button for 2-3s) and that is can only be done if you have the correct door modules??  :huh:

I am hoping to get some solid information if possible and if anyone knows the exact part numbers of what it is I will need, that would really help me out.

Thanks,
Nino.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 16:57 by Nino »
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Folding mirrors retro fit - Questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2023, 14:43 »
If no one posts any more info. Its not something ive done myself but ive seen videos on YouTube years ago of it being done , they may have the info on them if you search.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2023, 20:47 »
Cheers Snoopy, I have been able to find out the following info but unsure if its 100% correct.

Left (Passenger) - 5K0 857 507 AF (Left Electric Mirror Assembly)
Left module - 5K0 959 793 A
Right (Driver) - 5K0 857 508 AF (Right Electric Mirror Assembly)
Right module - 5K0 959 792 A

5K0 959 565 XSH (Switch)
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2023, 10:15 »
Hi Nino, whilst I may not be able to directly help on what exact modules you do need to get them to fold in on key press. My Mk6 Golf was fitted with the 'luxury pack' from factory, so it has the fold-in mirrors via the switch on the driver's door. 

I'll run a VCDS scan on my car and see what door module part numbers report back to the software.  You may then beable to find out if those ones are compatible with your required modification.

Personally I've never tried coding the wing mirrors to the way you're looking to do.  As I'm quite happy with the normal switch operation, plus for me it would mean folding them back in again when I want to reverse the car out of the garage. :smiley:

Cheers

Bluto
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2023, 09:02 »
Hi Nino, whilst I may not be able to directly help on what exact modules you do need to get them to fold in on key press. My Mk6 Golf was fitted with the 'luxury pack' from factory, so it has the fold-in mirrors via the switch on the driver's door. 

I'll run a VCDS scan on my car and see what door module part numbers report back to the software.  You may then beable to find out if those ones are compatible with your required modification.

Personally I've never tried coding the wing mirrors to the way you're looking to do.  As I'm quite happy with the normal switch operation, plus for me it would mean folding them back in again when I want to reverse the car out of the garage. :smiley:

Cheers

Bluto

That would be super helpful, thanks Bluto.
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2023, 23:16 »
Hi Nino

I've done a VCDS scan on my 2009 MK6 GTI with factory fit luxury pack. According to VCDS its door modules are:

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver   
   Part No SW: 5K0 959 701 C    HW: 5K0 959 701 C

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.       
   Part No SW: 5K0 959 702 C    HW: 5K0 959 702 C

Hope that may assist you in finding what door modules are compatible with the "fold-in mirrors on key press" mod you're after.

Cheers

Bluto
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2023, 10:23 »
Hi Nino

I've done a VCDS scan on my 2009 MK6 GTI with factory fit luxury pack. According to VCDS its door modules are:

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver   
   Part No SW: 5K0 959 701 C    HW: 5K0 959 701 C

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.       
   Part No SW: 5K0 959 702 C    HW: 5K0 959 702 C

Hope that may assist you in finding what door modules are compatible with the "fold-in mirrors on key press" mod you're after.

Cheers

Bluto

Interesting! Thank you for this, I will scan my car and see what mine are.

Don't suppose you have a way to scan the part numbers of your mirrors by anychance?
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2023, 14:51 »
Checked mine:
Drivers: 5K0 959 701 B
Passenger: 5K0 959 702 B

I wonder what the difference between ours is.  :huh:
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2023, 18:43 »
Checked mine:
Drivers: 5K0 959 701 B
Passenger: 5K0 959 702 B

I wonder what the difference between ours is.  :huh:

Hi Nino:

Well as the C and B generally refer to revisions, there may be some minor differences. 

Having had a quick look on Partslink24.com with my car's VIN number.  5K0 959 701 J and 5K0 959 702 J look to be the latest compatible Window regulator motors for my car. Guessing the J is the latest revision of that motor.  Which I'm assuming must have some kind of module on it, as VCDS scanned it.

The Window regulator motor's control module may be the unit that sends the signal to control the door wing mirrors on key press.  Though I'd actually expect that to come from the car's Body Control Module (BCM).  Not a mechanic, so not sure.

Not sure if you're already aware, but one note of caution regarding module part numbers is that modules can have index codes that aren't shown on the original module sticker.  Point in case is when I upgraded my car to LED rear tail lights I needed a new BCM. The dealer quoted me part number 1K0 937 087 E Z1Z, not just 1K0 937 087 E.  So somthing to bear in mind when purchasing used modules.

In terms of part number of the wing mirrors themselves. I don't believe they have modules in them, so don't think VCDS will be able to pull part numbers.  So without some dissassembly I doubt I can get that for you.

But I'd suggest maybe going looking at Partslink24 with your VIN to see what Wing mirror parts are available.  You can get one hour's access for about £13.

The complete housings compatible with my car are currently listed as : 

• 5K0 857 507 AE
  • Exterior mirror housing
    For vehicles with electric
    adjustable, fold-in and heated
    exterior mirrors, entry lights
    and memory function
  • Left
  • RHD

and

• 5K0 857 508 AE
  • Exterior mirror housing
    For vehicles with electric
    adjustable, fold-in and
    heated exterior mirrors
    and entry lights
  • Right
  • RHD

My assumption as to why the left-hand mirror has a memory function and the right-hand one doesn't could be the dip passenger mirror on reverse feature.

Cheers

Bluto
« Last Edit: 26 October 2023, 18:57 by Bluto »

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2023, 09:51 »
Amazing information there! Thanks alot :)
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door