Author Topic: Have I killed my Leccy window motor  (Read 509 times)

Offline fidget

• Not said much yet
Have I killed my Leccy window motor
« on: 06 February 2010, 18:24 »
In my never ending quest for a dry footwell , I fitted a window rubber/seal I got from the breakers to my drivers door . the window was struggling to shut a bit at first under power then it stopped going down altogether . Like a moron I kept trying and it stopped half way up. and wouldnt budge . Have I killed my window motor or do they have a thermal trip built in to prevent you doing this?
Ive managed to ghetto fix the window by un-doing the clamps and wedging it with a bit of wood for now, but this leak is starting to get the better of my sanity.

As a side note after replacing the door seal , I found that water was getting in were the wiper at the bottom of the window rubber wasnt sealing against the window. It turns out the water was getting inside the car from between the door and the door card. At some point in its life my golf has had a different door put on and whoever did it just put the foam sound proofing back in with out sticking it properly . I cut out some polythene the right shape and stuck this on first with a hot glue gun, then put the soundproofing back in. I did a great job , then I had to take it all out again to get to the window :embarassed:

any thoughts bout the motor would be great

James

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Have I killed my Leccy window motor
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2010, 18:29 »
Can you still hear the motor running when u try to put the window up/down? if so sounds to me like the regulator is knackered,the metal wire gets frayed and wraps its self around the motor spindle jamming the motor,take the door card off and ull be able to see if it has done this. :smiley:

Offline fidget

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2010, 18:41 »
Motor makes no noise at all . I ran out of light and patience to be honest , just needed to make the car secure for tonight. The motor was hot so I disconnected every thing and left it. I spose the best thing to do is try try the motor in the morning if it moves with out the window in place its ok if not back to the breakers.

Any ideas on how to loosen up the window in the new (well new to the window anyway ) rubber/seal as it was tight pulling it up by hand

James

Offline fidget

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2010, 17:44 »
My bad I managed to break a wire in the loom  :embarassed:. Soldered together and working fine. Window still stiff and motor seems to be straining . Can I use silicone grease to lube the channels?.

Best bit after a nice bit of rain , no water in the footwell  :smiley:

James