Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787165 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3920 on: 02 March 2016, 05:28 »

Took the R out to Bedford Autodrome yesterday and it went rather well, as someone said nice to see one actually being driven

R was sublime except for the pads (fast road) taking a hammering and needing to be changed due to the number of 100+ sections
Great shot!  :cool:

Congrats on getting a timely sale on the A1 Steve.

Cheers Andy.
Looking forward to pick up day on Thursday  :smiley:
I'm looking forward to that too! It's great seeing all the new cars arriving in here, I think I get more excited seeing other people get their new cars than I feel when I buy a new one myself!!
I'm really looking forward to hearing how the GTI compares with the boxed GTD.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gorocco

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3921 on: 06 March 2016, 15:16 »
Is it worthwhile putting a clay bar over a brand new car? Before polish and wax ...
PP, tints, Chassis Control.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3922 on: 06 March 2016, 15:51 »
Nothing too exciting but had my wheels off today for a good clean, calipers also cleaned and the front and back wheels swapped round to try and keep the wear even on all four tyres. Found a screw in one tyre which had gone in a fair way but hopefully it should be okay. Vacuumed and dusted the interior and fitted some red led lights in the footwells (replaced the glovebox light with one of the old footwell white leds) and put in an Audi spec 12v socket cover. Have ordered some new fitted mats with edges bound in red and black. Thanks to those who took the trouble to list part numbers and suppliers and write up guides, most appreciated :smiley: I was going to wash the filthy bodywork but got put off by a sudden drop in temperature and hail :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Garhan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3923 on: 06 March 2016, 16:00 »
Is it worthwhile putting a clay bar over a brand new car? Before polish and wax ...

Even more so,my new car terrible fallout all over.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3924 on: 06 March 2016, 16:22 »

It depends.

I would say use iron remover and tar remover first and then assess it.  To assess, get a plastic sandwich bag, wear it like a glove and run your palm flat over the panels, especially on the lower ones.  This will emphasise any remaining embedded contaminants left on the paintwork.  If it feels glassy smooth then claying probably not required, if it still feels bumpy, then clay. 

If you do clay it, I would definitely follow it up with a polish.  However good your technique, claying can lead to marring and it's always best to follow with a polish to get rid of any marks inflicted by the clay mitt/bar/cloth.  When I first did mine, after the Iron X and Tardis stages, it was clear of contaminants and didn't need claying, or polishing (no point in removing clear coat for no good reason), so it got washed, then sealed and waxed.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gorocco

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3925 on: 06 March 2016, 16:56 »

It depends.

I would say use iron remover and tar remover first and then assess it.  To assess, get a plastic sandwich bag, wear it like a glove and run your palm flat over the panels, especially on the lower ones.  This will emphasise any remaining embedded contaminants left on the paintwork.  If it feels glassy smooth then claying probably not required, if it still feels bumpy, then clay. 

If you do clay it, I would definitely follow it up with a polish.  However good your technique, claying can lead to marring and it's always best to follow with a polish to get rid of any marks inflicted by the clay mitt/bar/cloth.  When I first did mine, after the Iron X and Tardis stages, it was clear of contaminants and didn't need claying, or polishing (no point in removing clear coat for no good reason), so it got washed, then sealed and waxed.

Okay. I've some blackfire gloss enhancing polish that I was going to use before giving it a wax.
PP, tints, Chassis Control.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3926 on: 06 March 2016, 19:41 »
Sorry about the quality of the pictures, it's tricky in the dark with a tablet but here's my new lights and 12v cover:

I think Ted is pleased! As an aside, for fellow economy minded folk, you can get away with buying just one bulb holder from VW (or Audi where I got mine) as you can gain the second one from the glovebox light by substituting one of the redundant led footwell lights.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #3927 on: 06 March 2016, 19:47 »
I have ignored my mk7 today.

Time for the other car to get some well overdue attention

Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #3928 on: 07 March 2016, 10:20 »
Given it a much needed clean, Polish and wax. I was getting concerned my car wasn't actually blue....

Back it it's normal eye popping vibrancy now! The blue really looks great when properly looked after

I was genuinely starting to think the colour was a bit dull, and preferred the Jag blue fire, then I cleaned it......can't believe how much the dirt covered the vibrancy of the colour

I cleaned the front as well....just in case anyone thought I stopped half way lol

you got any more pics of the motor mate? just ordered exact same 3 door lapiz. you got the rear tints done? over and above the std?
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3929 on: 07 March 2016, 14:36 »
Got my lovely new mats today, fitted but the originals are in the boot for emergencies..

And yesterday's promised wash completed:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.