Author Topic: window tinting......  (Read 1085 times)

Offline xzakx9

• Not said much yet
window tinting......
« on: 04 February 2008, 23:14 »
can u do it yourself??? how much price differrence would it be to get it dne properly?
cheers
zak

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
Re: window tinting......
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2008, 11:41 »
You can do it yourself but you probably wont be pleased with the results. takes a lot of time and practice to get it done properly. Iv just had a quote for 180 for a 3 door mk4 and iv been to the company before so i know they do a good job.

I had a mobile unit do my previous car for 150. i ended up having it redone by above company.

:smiley:

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2008, 11:58 »
seriously, dont even attempt it yourself. i've seen the guy at pro-tint doing it, and the amount of fuss he makes over doing it, taking the windows out, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning some more, then wiping and cleaning, and taking his time and genrally making me bored.

wasnt even my car, just save your pennies and get it done propper.

noble tuned - and still not fast enough!

Alpinehead

« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2008, 21:31 »
hahahaha funny i read this as i took it apon my self to tint my tailgate window.   

DONT DO IT YOUR SELF!!!  im a dab hand at vinal graphics etc (used to mike road signs for a living)  and trust me  its a pain in the arse.   i knew what i was doing, had the correct soapy water mix, cleaned it about 300 times etc, and..........  the diy stuff still looks shat....  it dont stick properly round the edges and because of that air gets under it, gives you attractive lines in ya limo black window.  (looks sh!t)

Pay some 1 dude!!!!  lol

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2008, 15:36 »
I did mine myself and if you literally want a 100% perfect finish get someone else to do it..

me and my step dad did mine together and it does take friggin ages! the only 'problem' bit I had was where there's like a logo in the bottom corners of the rear passenger windows. It's slightly raised so it did take abit of work to make it perfect, but I'm happy with my tints  :smiley:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2008, 23:27 »
I was thinking of getting it done. Just the back side windows and rear window. My m8 did his himself (except rear screen) and it turned out pretty good, a few minor imperfections but when doing it yourself it won't be perfect. Just a note that he is a genius with vinyl, etc (works for my dad's sign company).

Side windows should be OK, but its the rear window, especially hard.

The quality of the tint is extremely important, as it is so easy to scratch.

The bottom line is though; unless your experienced or really know what your doing, then get it done by a professional, otherwise you won't be impressed with the finish.

LL ;)