Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 144786 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: not-a-GTI Golf2 Syncro track shed
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2008, 23:08 »
Further stuff this evening.  Finished the Y-pipe and gave it a bit of a buffing, thus proving you can polish a turd.....

Then fitted the completed thing up to the car:

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2008, 23:24 »
Busy session this afternoon/evening.

After cleaning up the area I then cut sections and fitted them up around the hole, ready to weld in.

The first section I welded in was the piece on the upright

Then pieces either side were welded in, as the bottom of the upright was stepped out.

Then the trimmer down the transmission tunnel:

and around the seams of the aperture:

Completed trimmers:

and then coated with primer, as it's 'king damp here at the moment!

Yes, it might be overkill, but it's a crucial part of the chassis, so I'd rather over-do it than do something lightweight which means the chassis flexes more than it should.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2008, 14:49 »
Woo - parts collection now enhanced after the arrival of a large package from Holland.

Pictures here

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2008, 11:55 »
I finished the footwell modification last night:

I've layed on a layer of primer and will probably finish it in Hammerite smooth silver, although given the thickness of the steel I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon!

I grabbed a couple of pictures of the original set up vs the new one - this should help explain why I've had to go to all of this trouble:

So, now we're into getting the motor sorted and together, which means the crossflow head's off for some work shortly.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2008, 00:40 »
Quick catch up - Lots done over the past week or so.

We now have the pressure pump and wiring fitted under the floor:

This is a sight many GTI drivers will be familiar with, to a point - you can see the independent rear suspension subframe in the photo.  Thankfully the supplied pump was from a continental Syncro, so it had the right length pipes - something that actually 'bolts right up' - shocking.  To compensate I'll be needing to make up the wiring to power the electric lift pump I've fitted in the tank - the carb Syncro doesn't have one.  Thankfully the Rallye does:

Rallye unit on right, with lift pump.

Now, I was going to be using the 2E management and wiring loom, but it has a fifth injector, which ain't gonna just fit up to the crossflow inlet manifold (which is not designed for a cold start injector), so it looks like I'll be falling back on chipped G2 digifant management, although to make sure we fuel correctly I'll be using a Euro loom, so it runs with a lambda and hopefully gets the mixture about right.  Although I'm running with G2 management, I still need to use the 2E throttle housing, as this bolts up to the square hole on the crossflow inlet manifold.  In comparison the G2 GTI throttle plate housing is rectangular and will not fit at all, being both narrower and longer.  The kicker is that the 2E uses a potentiometer, whereas the G2 uses closed and wide open throttle microswitches.  I've now converted the 2E housing from this:

to this:

Which seems like a right old retrograde move, as surely a potentiometer will work better for injection, won't it?  Well yes, but only if the system you're using works with a potentiometer!

Because the throttle damper has now gone it's meant I can mount the square any which way I want, meaning it's been a lot easier to figure out the mounting for the throttle cable.  Might turn out after all.

This week has also bought a few parts: 
A Techtonics 268 cam, to spice things up a little.  This might seem a little tame, but given that the head is being breathed on it should flow better, giving sensible gains overall.  This was bought and shipped in from the USA at a total cost of $210 plus £30 duty on arrival.  It was either that, or £220 plus shipping for a Kent GS2, which will do the same job (tough choice). 
To cater for the crossflow head I've purchased new a hose from a 2002 Golf cabriolet.  The crossflow has no water outlet on the front surface of the head, so the cooling arrangements are substantially different to the GU carb motor.  This hose also means I can run a radiator without the stupid bleed hose at the top.  The radiator is still to buy - a G3 unit, as this omits the bleed tube. 
I had to pick up a bracket for the cable-change mounted transfer box, as it's different to the rod-change one.  £5 on Fleabay.  That's now with me. 

I'm still waiting on the Euro loom, the chipped ECU, a Rallye rear engine mount (to miss the 100mm CVs) and a remote oil cooler.  These are coming over from Holland in the next couple of weeks.  The head eventually left for work, but it wasn't alone - it has the flywheel with it, which is going to be losing 3 out of 9kg.

A little while ago I painted the new plated section in silver Hammerite to give it a fighting chance of survival.  It's under the car, so no point worrying about the paint match.  The underside might even get a little stonechip on it, although to be honest it would make more sense to fit up some heat protection. 

I spent this evening putting the heater and dash back in, which have gone back in quite nicely, without too much arguing.

The flywheel and head should be ready for pick up the weekend after this, so it looks like I should really get a scoot on with the rest of the car, especially as we're looking at a trip to the Eiffel Mountains in May.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2008, 09:57 by Diamond Hell »

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2008, 08:59 »
This is a proper good read mate, nice work!

Nick

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2008, 13:31 »
Went hand has a crawl around under this last night..  :drool:
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2008, 12:15 »
I've had a couple of weeks off the project due to norovirus and a nasty cold following that.  Things didn't totally stop and I've got a bunch more parts come in, so I'm starting to build up the motor:

Block degreased and dusted with black paint:

Built up with new waterpump, year old stat from previous motor, new crank seals and intermediate shaft seal.

After a small amount of to-ing and fro-ing the head went on last night - now torqued down:

That includes new cam seal, Techtonics 268 cam and new tappets, as well as a tri-cut and de-shroud on the valve seats.  It's been bolted down with 2E-spec bolts and ABF headgasket. 

Hopefully tonight it comes off the engine stand, I do the other crank seal, bolt up the tinware on either end, bolt up the lightened flywheel, put the clutch back on and maybe line up the timing marks and slip a new belt on.

Hopefully should be on the gearbox and in the car by the weekend.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2008, 11:46 »
As normal I didn't quite get everything I wanted to do last night, but the other crank seal is done, the lightened flywheel is fitted, along with the tinware behind it and the clutch.  The motor is also off the engine stand, back on the hoist.

Oh and the gearbox got a bit of cleaning and the power steering pump went back on, too.

I've got some bolts to collect from VW this lunchtime, so this evening the oil filter housing's going on and the motor should be timed.  If all goes well (what are the chances, eh?) I might even bolt it to the gearbox.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2008, 00:46 »
After a dreadful night of it the night before last (everything was too damned short) I've had a much better evening tonight.

Timed up motor, mated to gearbox, with the inlet manifold trial-fitted, along with the breather pipes being reviewed etc.

I've dug out a few issues, but nothing insurmountable (or not fixable with a grinder and welder).

I've also found out that the crossflow waterpipe works nicely and the cooling system is fit to mate up to a Golf3 16V radiator, which I already have.

Beavis came round tonight and sorted out a GTI speedo head into the instrument cluster, too - many thanks for doing a job I wasn't looking forward to!  This is necessary as the new drive on the cable-change box is a different geared one to the original Syncro unit.