Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 144781 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: not-a-GTI Golf2 Syncro track shed
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2008, 16:11 »
2E block, with late crossflow head, which will have a little work done on it.  I will be changing the cam as soon as I can, too. 

It will be initially running a chipped standard 2E injection system and G60 injectors.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2008, 16:20 »
Good work there fella!

Nick

sharpie

« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2008, 11:33 »
good effort tom! sounds like it'll be awesome when it's finished, gonna have some power to match the handling. air intake is pure getto though!  :laugh: :grin: how's the other project going?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2008, 12:01 »
Alright Sharpie.  Got yourself another car with pink highlights yet?  :grin:

What can I say about the air intake - I'm a cheap-ass at heart.

The 'other project' is running really well now and sounding seriously nasty - can't remember whether you heard it run before you left.  I've taken it out with Danny passengering and we did manage to give a VR6 a seriously nasty shock with it.  I'm hoping to get it MOTed and drive it to Big Bang for RWYB as a first event.

Going to get over to Vee W Services on Saturday to have a rummage about for a suitable set of flanges and flexi-joints for the Y-section on the exhaust.

After that I've got to figure out the plumbing for this crossflow, as it's not 'normal'

sharpie

« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2008, 12:16 »
nah i got a saxo  :embarassed: lol!! sensible car for uni. got shockies, springs, arbs and braces all waiting to go on it but not got round to it yet. it's well chuckable but spun it after about a month of having it, pure lift off oversteer  :laugh:

you well slagged me when i was running a air intake like that! you've been busted  :grin:

good to hear your other one's going well, heard it running before i left but never seen it properly move. you should put than on a project thread too or are you keeping it secret? i can only imagine how much fun it is to see peoples expressions when you give it a bit gas.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2008, 12:42 »
You're driving a Paxo?  That's harsh - it doesn't need pink highlight, it's already quite clearly a girl's car.

you should put that on a project thread too or are you keeping it secret?

It's not a secret, but this is GolfGTI.co.uk - not batteredsinglecabpickupwithanauditurbomotor.co.uk - gotta keep focused  :smug:

sharpie

« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2008, 12:46 »
You're driving a Paxo?  That's harsh - it doesn't need pink highlight, it's already quite clearly a girl's car.

you should put that on a project thread too or are you keeping it secret?

It's not a secret, but this is GolfGTI.co.uk - not batteredsinglecabpickupwithanauditurbomotor.co.uk - gotta keep focused  :smug:

blah blah - that's what i want people to think.

aye it's golfgtico.uk - not golfsyncro.com  :tongue: i'll stop spamming your thread now! car looks good keep us updated  :wink:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2008, 17:12 »
Q: How do you switch from a hydraulic clutch actuator on a cable-change gearbox in a Golf2?

A: Use a Passat Syncro actuator arm (02A 141 708B) and the boot for it (02A 141 728). 

I should find out next week whether my existing clutch cable 'bolts right up' to this combination.

Now, anyone got any suggestions of the right water housing and hoses to use on the end of the crossflow head to get to the radiator?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2008, 01:02 »
*If you're offended by cheap-assed bodgery skip straight over this post*

Well, I suspect someone somewhere was doing things properly this evening.  Sadly I've been following my usual course of using the crap I've got lying around in my workshop to bodge stuff together - it saves money, which means I can do stupid stuff like this.

This evening I have mostly been bodging together a Y-piece to take the exhaust from the end of the Rallye downpipe to the original system on the car.  For anyone who's not looked at this thread before - a quick catch-up - One of the big things about this project is to alleviate the restrictive downpipe scenario in the RHD Golf Syncro.  So far I've hacked about a Rallye downpipe to dodge the steering column, cut out a section of the firewall and now I need to hook it up to the rest of the standard system, which isn't restrictive at all.

First of all I hacked out the 2-1 joiner from the Passat that the 2E came out of - this was just before the end of the downpipe, so flange off, then downpipes off.

Next up, I hacked apart a rather shagged T25 petrol J-pipe, as the flanges on either end are the same pattern as on the Rallye downpipe (go figure).  Here is the pipe before I blessed it with the hacksaw:

I did buy a nice new pipe, but I couldn't bring myself to hack it up (come on, it had paint on it and everything!), so I've swapped it for this one and some goodwill.

I already had various random bits of vaguely-the-right-diameter pipe lying around, so I gathered them up.

Now I needed the right size pipe to fit the joiner in the standard pipework - after a bit of rummaging I found there was a salvaged front box in the workshop roof, which I'd cut the pipe off after the joiner.  That came out, got separated and then got trimmed down. 

I then cut a small section from some other pipe to flare the 2-1 joint down to the single pipe and then tacked together the start of the section on the workbench:

This was then fitted into the car and I rummaged through the rest of the bits of pipe to get some that were about the right length.

Before this I'd argued the motor and gearbox back into place, with the downpipe bolted up and the T25 flanges bolted to that.  Now all I had to do was 'fill in the gap'.  I managed to do this with assorted bits of pipe and a T25 'sealing ring' on the back of one of the flanges.  Once I'd burnt myself to pieces tacked the pipes up under the car I dropped the section out and the downpipe off, so I could give it a right dose of MIG wire on the bench, which took us from:

To

I need to drop off the downpipe and tidy the flanges, maybe do a bit of work around the 2-1 section, but it's pretty much there.  It ain't pretty, but it will work and should last a while, too.

I also found out that to fit the crossflow (ABA) code head, which only has a water outlet on the end of it I really need the water pipe off a Mexican Golf, which is a bit of an arse as I can see that Heritage Bristol are unlikely to be of much use in this quest.  Still, it'll be a laugh seeing if they can even find the part tomorrow - I emailed them with a list of parts, so we'll see if they even pick up their emails I suppose.

Meanwhile, the Man Who Can, over in Holland, has shipped me a lovely box of bits for the motor - inlet manifolds, G60 injectors and a few other goodies, so I need to get cracking on - this thing needs to be back ready for track action as soon as the weather cheers up a bit!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2008, 11:52 »
The good news is that Heritage called me back on the back of the email and I've not ordered the clutch actuator and boot.

The bad news is that they can't get the US hoses, so I've got to find a different way of getting hold of them - how hard can it be, eh?