Author Topic: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60  (Read 49040 times)

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2008, 15:15 »
Unfortunately the photo shoot will have tp be postponed due to running out of time. :cry: I am off back to Germany tomorrow and time has caught up with me, plus I just took the old girl out for a spin to the fuel station and back, only to find that one of my new G60 badges that fit to the door outer trim is gone. :cry: :cry: So I have to try and order another one from the UK. This time I'll araldite the b@+*$£d on there!! :evil:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2008, 21:22 »
Unfortunately the photo shoot will have tp be postponed due to running out of time. :cry: I am off back to Germany tomorrow and time has caught up with me, plus I just took the old girl out for a spin to the fuel station and back, only to find that one of my new G60 badges that fit to the door outer trim is gone. :cry: :cry: So I have to try and order another one from the UK. This time I'll araldite the b@+*$£d on there!! :evil:

My wife found the badge lying on the garage floor. :smiley: Now where did I put that araldite?? :rolleyes:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2008, 23:15 »
Sorry, no pics in this thread, just a small update.
I am in the UK at the moment, and today I picked up a full Jettex exhaust system for the red velocopede, and a larger rad and intercooler that I won off ebay a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get home now to fit the exhaust and also fit the new suspension kit I have bought for it. I need some plumbing for the larger intercooler and radiator, so if anyone can help me source these items, I would appreciate a P.M.
Thats all for now. Hopefully an update with piccies next week.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2008, 21:04 »
Well, where do I start? I will try not to cover old ground even though some of these pages have been lost during the forum down time, but loads has been done. I just have to try and remember chronologically what I did.

As you have seen, the Jetex exhaust has been fitted but there are a couple of problems with it. I will get to that a little later.
A couple of piccies, most of which have been put in other pages of this web site.

I have bought quite a few things for the old girl and they will be covered when I get to that part of these post's. I had my set of Sebrings refurbished and I intend to use these as my winter wheels. They were in a horrible state when I got them, but alas, I forgot to take any snaps of them. But here they are finished.

I was thinking of doing them black, but thought better of it and had them done in original silver. Easier to sell on if I needed to.

I am not happy with the passenger door, (UK drivers door. This one is a lefty!) as it has suffered damage in the past and the lines are not straight. Even when it was in the paint shop, the body repair chap said it would be almost impossoble to get it right as he had reconed it had been repaired on at least three separate occasions previously. So I bought this from the scrap yard.

I stripped it of all the parts and gave it to the body shop that painted the car where they sprayed it as a freebee. But my pal no longer works there and the job I got back was disgracefull! I was and am not happy. :angry: I did not ask for a freebee, it was their choice, but you would not put this on your dogs kennel! So I still need to get it redone before I fit it. I also got the window for it as my existing one has a deep scratch.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2008, 21:17 »
On with the job!

I though it was high time I fitted the new headlamp wiring loom as it has been sitting in my garage for a few months now. It is pretty easy to install, but routing it safely is a pain in the arse. I installed the relay pack directly behind the drivers side (LHD) headlamp.

I offered the relay pack up and marked the hole positions, then drilled and fitted rivnuts. For those who are not familiar with these things, they are tubular nuts that are fitted almost like a pop rivet. You need a special tool to fit them and are a more proffessional way of mounting components rather than using self tapping screws.

Then these came throught the post courtesy of Les Bray of Veedub Machine ebay.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I also bought a few new sets of adjusters as the old ones were in a pretty poor state.

Then I set about fitting the spotlamps to the grille.

And this is the final result.

A sad mirror shot!  :embarassed:

Then the main headlamps were fitted.

More coming!

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2008, 21:44 »
No piccies here.
I wanted to sort out the bad running of the car and practically eliminated everything except the brake servo, so I went out to get one.
I went to VW, but they wanted blood money for one, so I went to my trusted hole in the wall to see if they could help. They got back to me within the hour and came up with an original Bosche one for half the money VW wanted. So that was bought and I had a smile on my face. :smiley: I then got a new master cylinder from ebay. I wanted to replace these two anyway as my brakes were not the best in the country.
So now the interior had to be stripped around the pedal box area to get to the connection between the servo rod and the brake pedal.
The servo was replaced along with the master cylinder with no real drama's. One of the brake pipes was a bugger to get on, but a cup of tea's rest sorted that out. Bleeding the brakes was a different story. Because the master cylinder was new and empty, only air was being stretched and compressed. So I got hold of the tube from the vacuum cleaner, took a deep breath and blew into the top of the reservoir whilst my assistant pumped the brakes, in a vain attemped to force fluid into the master cylinder. It worked and the brake bleeding was completed with an hour, with all the brake fluid replaced. I don't think the system has ever had a fluid change before as the colour of the fluid coming out was pretty crap.
Now I have very hard brakes all the time so it was all well worth it.

I then set to set up the cars injection system. I bought a new CO meter the last time I was in the UK, so this came out of its box for the first time.
I connected it all up and started the car. It was run up to operating temp, so the games commenced. The initial reading was 15.2! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: No wonder I had no freekin' power! I wound out the grub screw and the revs went sky high, so that was adjusted too. I finally got the emmissions down to about 2.5, still a little high but MOTable. I want to run it like this for a while to let everything settle down, then I will re do it. But I still have the problem that I lose power with the lamnda connected!!  :undecided: This is throwing me a bit, but I'll sort it in the end..........I hope! :lipsrsealed:
A quick test down the road, and I would not say that I have all the predicted 190BHP, but its definately getting there! :smiley:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2008, 21:56 »
Back to the exhaust problem. The damn thing was banging on the axle beam. Now those of you who have the Jettex system will know that it rest's with less hangers than the original factory system. And it's heavier. So I took it to a garage to see about having an extra hanger welded. The problem, admittedly is because the car is lowered, but I need to investigate other avenues before embarking on yet another suspension kit.

Anyway, before modifications.

After the hanger was welded in place.

The extra hanger was removed from my old system with an angle grinder.

I took the thing for a test drive and it still banged, so back up on the ramps. I loosened off the clamp that connects the back box to the main system and pulled the joint apart to raise the bend higher over the rear axle. It is better, but not perfect. I now need to look at the suspension and raise it a little. Coming to thing of it, I believe the shocks can be adjusted by removing the snap ring that supports the spring housing and moving it up to the next ring groove. I will look next time I am home. Having said that, the thought of having to strip out the suspension again is not an appealing thought.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2008, 22:24 »
I have been winning a few items from ebay, (Dubster, I missed out on that spoiler because I cocked up at the last minute! :angry: Any ideas where I can get another one?) including a spare ECU, (which incidently had to be returned as it was incorrectly advertised and not for my car) a replacement polished rocker cover, a G60 grille badge, (still yet to be delivered) some sharks fins that fit over the spokes in the lower part of the front bumper, (again, still to be delivered) and a genuine Golf G60 carpet set which I won from German ebay! I say genuine as they are different to the 8V and 16V carpet sets due to the different shape and size of the centre tunnel.
This is what this part of my update is on.

The original carpets that came in the car stank! The sound proofing was wet and the drivers footwell plastic heel guard was damaged.

Also the edge trimming and stitching was in poor condition and bleached with wet and age.

So out came the interior again, this time including the centre tunnel carpet, which I did not remove originally. And guess what, it was soaking and stinking. That's what you get for not removing it in the first place. (puts two fingers to temple and pulls the thumb)

The 'new' carpet did not come with the sound proofing, so I went down to the local equivelent of B&Q and bought some builders grade high density foam sound deadening stuff.
I used the old sound proofing as a pattern and cut out the required shapes. I then removed all the old sound proofing felt from the old carpets. This is glued onto a sort of plastic or plastic coated high density card backing, and it was this backing I needed. I then removed the backing and used spray contact adhesive to glue the new foam to the backing. I then glued onto this my new carpet.

I did this twice, one per side and the results are very satisfying. I then proceeded to fit the new carpets and finally managed to force them round behind, or should I say in front of the air mixing box. It started to look very nice.

Whilst I had the interior out, I decided to mount the sub amp where I intended to in the first place. I looked up on Dubsters project pages to see how he had done it and, well, basically did the same. I had this idea a long time ago but not much of an idea on how to do it. :lipsrsealed:
I de-rivetted the side panel support and packed out the cavity with the foam I had left. I then cut up an old seat back I had as a spare and trimmed it to fit inside the cavity. I then mounted the amp to it and fitted it inside the cavity and wired it up. After a quick test I carried on with the refit of the interior.

All the carpets went in quite quickly.

What?.....No amp....? :smug:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2008, 22:34 »
This last post is really to show where I have got to with the car to date. It is out of ITV, (MOT) but that will be done when I go back home.You will also see that the rear wiper is now laid flat!  :cool: Anyway, photos to enjoy or laugh at!

Crystal headlights, spotlights and foglights. The headlamps incidently have 100watt bulbs, and togeter with the wiring loom upgrade, well, put it this way, I saw the planet Mars the other night!

Thats all for now. I will be taking a trip to the scrapyard again when I get back as I need a couple of bitz 'n' peices such as a new grille, a piece of trim, intercooler shrouds (from a deisel) and a peice of trim for VW Virgins MKIII. (I have not forgotten you! :wink:) and the list goes on.
Thanks for looking. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 02 October 2008, 22:36 by Darnpistonbroke »

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2009, 19:21 »
Not really an update, but more of a 'what's gonna happen' post.
My car was banished to the street for a while, until we get our new shed built. So the contents of the old shed ended up......in the garage! So no room for the car. Anyway, after all the snow and rain we have had lately, I found a nice little puddle in the drivers footwell and in the rear right footwell too. :angry: So now the carpets have to come out yet again. Bugger! :cry:

SO! Once the new shed is built and I can have my garage back, the car is going to reside in there for the forseeable future, because I am going to rip the engine and gearbox out. :evil:
Whilst it is out, the whole of the engine bay is going to get sealed and detailed with new paint and repaired as required. The engine is going to be partially dismantled and freshened up with new rings and bearings and a new oil pump too. It will then get a coat of paint along with the gearbox, and be re-installed with new rad and intercooler a la Rallye! It will also go in with a tubular manifold thingy too!
I already have a full set of new engine mounts for it and the gasket set. The rest of the things will get bought once I know the state of the engine. If the bores have gone oval, then it will get bored out to 2.0 litres. But I don't really want to go that route unless I really have to.
Thats about all for now. This I hope will start within a couple of months, so watch this space. :smiley:

Oh, nearly forgot. I have a car set of poly bushes which may get fitted in the mean time. I also have a brand new G60 grille badge which cost me a fcuking fortune! :angry:
I am also thinking of returning the ride height back to standard as the ride is a little harsh and I can't stop the exhaust from banging against the rear beam.