Author Topic: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60  (Read 49042 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60
« on: 30 October 2007, 20:07 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2007, 10:03 »
Thanks JV.
Well I cant put too much down at the moment as I am working in Germany, so I dont have access to my pictures. I will return home every two weeks or so to give updates as and when.
I bought the car after selling my white 8v. I was going to buy a 16v, but this one came up at the right time and price, so it was bought for around a grand. The car has done 135000 kms which equates to just over 79000 miles. She is lacking in a little TLC as you will see later in the photos. I bought the car, and drove it straight into my garage where she has stayed ever since.
The list of jobs to do is long but distinguished including a full respray, compressor overhaul and a new camshaft. I may strip the head down later as she was smoking a bit. But I want to do the compressor first to make sure that was not the cause of the smoke.
I have done a bit to the car but dont want to give too much info yet without the pics, so please be patient. Also I need to experiment with photobucket. :cool:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2007, 08:41 »
Well as mentioned in my last post, I bought this thing. The problems that I knew about were that the compressor needed overhauling and the camshaft needed looking at. I drove it home gently as the cam was very noisy. The compressor seemed to work ok but I didn,t push it, and then the throttle cable detached itself from the pedal. I fould out later that it had been rigged wrong. So someone obviously has been playing with this car without too much knowledge about what he was doing.
Well hopefully this will work. Here are a collection of pictures of the project so far.

These are the views of how it was when I first got it.

As you can see, the wheels have seen better days. Not too sure what to do with these.

Pock marks on the paint. A common sight here in Spain. Other people when parking their cars don't really care too much for other peoples property.

Scuffed bumper.

More pock marks but there is actually a dent there too.

A bit of adhesive required here. I would like to change it but I think I would do more harm than good.

NICE!!!

The last owner had someone break into it. They stole the radio and also butchered the dashboard. There are three holes in it as in the next picture.

Speaker grilles need replacing.

I threw the parcel shelf away as it was hanging. As you can see, the poor old girl has been a little neglected.

A filthy engine. Actually its mostly dust and dirt. Spain gets very dry and breezy and that is the result of 16 years of Spanish summers.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2007, 08:50 »
As you can see from the pictures, the old girl would and will benefit from a respray. The paint work will polish up of course, but once the paint dies, its dead and will very soon dull off again very soon. Plus the damage done to the paint leaves one option. Respray.
I intend to strip the car down to a rolling shell, for a decent job. Bumpers, plastic trim, grille, lights and interior will come off for the paiting. The windows will also be coming out and the windscreen, which actually has a crack in it, will be replaced for one with a top tint. All the plastic work will be replaced including the bumpers.
Still not sure what to do about the wheels. I would like to fit ATS Cups, but the brake disc's are too big. I am thinking of buying a set of Cups, but with the offset for that of an Astra, then use 10mm spacers to set them right. Then the calipers will not scrub against the domed spokes of the wheels.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2007, 09:02 »
I started in earnest about stripping out the car about two weeks ago. I was amazed at how different the interior goes together compared with my old 8v. The carpets were an absolute bugger to remove.

The dash came out fairly easily, better than I thought. And I didn't break any of the clips. I also found that the steering wheel was damaged. It looked as if the mice had been in there.

I went to the scrapyard to go shopping and came back with a Vectra estate boot full of stuff. Including a dashboard and some bits and peices of trim and carpet. And surprise surprise, there was a Golf G60 there with the compressor still installed. Looking back, I should have removed the copressor to have a better look at it, but they wanted too much money for it with no warranty. And as the car was still in one piece, ie not accident damaged, that meant it had been scrapped for a terminal failure of something. I didn't risk it.
Hopefully this week, I will get the old girl shipped off to the painters for work to be done whilst I am back in Germany working.
Stay tuned.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2007, 21:49 »
A very brief update.
Went to the scrapyard again yesterday, (Tuesday) and found a half decent heavy duty parcel shelf. I intend to modify, strengthen and recover it. I will post a seperate section on this when I actually do it. I did it before on my 8v as shown below.

I also located an unbroken 4 lamp grille with both its spots still in place.
And today, I solved the problem of what to do with my wheels. I found a refurbisher in Madrid, so now they have two of them. I will post before and after pictures later. Now I need to locate a set of centre caps for them. So if anyone knows of any...
And to round off, I ordered my bumpers from VW today along with the wheel arches, sill covers and, this I cannot believe, a red G60 badge as fitted to the grille!! :smiley: I thought these things were extinct. I am though, expecting a call saying that they are no longer available.
More to follow, but not for a couple of weeks as I have to go back to Germany on Friday. :cry:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2007, 13:01 »
Just a quickie as I am now back in the Fatherland. Got round to hosing down the underbonnet area and found some accident damage on the front right quarter that has been bodge repaired.  :cry: B-LOX!! And there is also some on the rear left quarter but not so bad. I am told that the repairs are not difficult so fingers crossed.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2007, 19:07 »
Well it's been a while since I posted, but to be honest, progress on the beast has not really advanced due to time, although money has been spent.
Christmas came early about three weeks ago. My new bumpers arrived along with new wheel arches and front bumper lower spoilers. These I bought OE from VW. I was going to use GPC but these guys proved to be extremely un-helpfull.

I found a place in Madrid that refurbishes alloy wheels, so in mine went. The following are before and after pictures. I managed to find centre caps for my BBS and had them sent over from the UK. A huge thanks to Les of Veedubmachine.
Before.

Another before.

After.

Another after.

I bought another dashboard from the scrappy, because if you remember, the old one had holes in it. It came from an older car, and the carcass is made from another material like fibre cardboard. It needed a little repair work which I did on the plenum entrance. I did this with the help of araldite, sheet paxoline and a couple of rivets. I then gave it a good clean and it came uplike new.

I have also bought a new set of speakers front and rear. Thy are nothing special as I am not after a base thumping mobile jukebox, just decent quality sound to listen to my eighties collection.

The front tweeters I have already mounted to my dashboard as access is easier with dash rmoved. I mounted them in sheet paxoline and screwed them in place.

Today I actually got some work done, buy as I said, not much forward progress. As the dashboard is out, I decided to quickly tidy up the mountain of spagetti. Did I say quickly? It turned out that the previous owner did not have a clue how to wire up radios and cable chasing was in order. He had wired up the speaker system, piggy backing the fronts to the rears, thus rendering useless the fader of the unit he was using. After pulling the various cables to bits, about 20 metres got binned.
I also temporarily fitted my rear wheel arch carpet covers to see where my speaker cables would come out.
Now I just need to run my rear speaker cables and the sub woofer amp cables, before I refit the dash.
The respray has been put off till the middle of January. Shame car body shops don't have January sales.
Thats all for now. There will not be anything further until January as I have to go back to Germany for a few weeks.
A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. Thanks for looking.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2008, 17:18 »
Not much done. Just removed the G-Lader today to take with me to Germany on Tuesday to have overhauled. Hopefully its not too bad.
Going to the scrapyard again tomorrow, then will attempt to fit the dashboard.
Also bought a power amp for the subwoofer yesterday.
Thats all.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2008, 22:45 »
Well an update with pictures is long overdue. More money has been spent. I am now a friend of ebay and its amazing what stuff you find on there. I bought a pair set of leather gaitors for the gearstick and handbrake. The latter I was a little worried about finding a replacement, as G60 handbrake gaitors are different to other MKII's. Don't have photos of these yet, but I'll put them in the next post.
Anyway, as said, the dashboard is now in and wired up.

I still have to fit the radio, but before I do that, I will lay in the cables for the sub woofer and amp.

What do I do with this lot then?? :undecided:

2 channel bridged amp. Nothing special but I'm not after a mobile jukebox.

And the sub woofer.
This I got at a real bargain. It was about 80 €uros, but this one is an ex static display one and some thieving mongrel swiped the guard rods whilst it was in the shop. Anyway, I got it for 35 €uros, which is about £22.

I set about cleaning up the inside of the doors too. The amount od crap that was in the bottom of the doors was unreal. But, there is absolutly no rust in any part of the car. Just shows how dry Spain is. Anyway, while the door cards were off, I sprayed LPS3, which is the aircraft equivilant of waxoil, on the interior of the doors. Then I refitted and patched up the door liner membrane. Those of you in the aviation industry may recognise the tape. :lipsrsealed:

I am now in the middle of laying in the cables, then the carpets will go in, followed by the heater.
The G-Lader is in Kassel, Germany at the moment, having magic done to it, I hope. I have also bought the new camshaft. A Schrick split duration 268/276. Photos of this will appear when I fit it.
I also have bought from ebay, and am still waiting delivery, a headlight wiring loom to make the headlights really shine. I am also waiting for aftermarket G60 badges for the rear panel and door trims. These are black and chrome effect. Pictures when they arrive. Another thing I have bought is the G60 front grille badge. But this will need modifying as it is from a Corrado, and does not fit the Golf standard grille.
Thats all I think for now. Getting near having it painted, but I need to make sure my next contract is a little more solid first.
Thanks for looking.