Author Topic: follow on from GTI Insurance : Factory Options cover  (Read 632 times)

Offline john_o

• I live here
follow on from GTI Insurance : Factory Options cover
« on: 16 October 2007, 12:35 »
hi everyone,

reading the insurance quotes and awaiting the new car brings back an old issue...

Many companies do not cover high spec cars with an old for new cover.

this was highlighted to me a few years ago when trying to insure a high spec Mini Cooper S.
Basically I paid more (and legally had to declare) any deviation from base spec BUT this spec was essentially not covered in event of an accident.

I eventually cancelled and moved to Greenlight (top notch btw) but I always wonder given the number of people covered by Priviledge /More Than etc who operate this policy.

I could never see how they could effectively downgrade your car while repairing it after an accident (e.g. front end smash with xenons =  replace with halogens = YEAH RIGHT!)

Is this still the case?
Has anyone actually had this happen?   esp as these companies tend to be cheaper

JohnO
Ed30 being built as we speak...... :cool:

Black 3dr Edition 30 manual
DEFi boost gauge | ECS Dogbone | WLineAntiLiftKit

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
Re: follow on from GTI Insurance : Factory Options cover
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2007, 12:42 »
All mine are covered, along with the non-factory options. :smiley:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Merlinman

• GTI forum regular
  • Tornado Red 170ps GT Sport
Re: follow on from GTI Insurance : Factory Options cover
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2007, 13:39 »
All my options/extras are declared and noted.

This is one area where online quotes are very misleading. When I followed several 'cheaper' options up the 'price to pay' suddenly became very uncompetitive with options/extras added. Some even declined to offer cover. That for a 62 year old with a faultless claim/point free record!

You get what you pay for...  :shocked: