Author Topic: Mew - A reg mk2 project  (Read 39487 times)

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: Mew - A reg mk2 project
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2007, 21:22 »
Well i've been busy buying one of these:

and also some of these:

The exhaust is a mild/aluminised/whatever steel Jetex system for an early Corrado, but it will fit the Golf. As it is for a Corrado, it has a 2.5" bore. It is also a single exit 3" tailpipe. So basically after a lot of hard searching i have managed to find a 2.5" system with a single tailpipe to fit in the small exhaust recess that my car has.  :cool:

As for the wishbones, they are brand new with powerflex rear bushes fitted. I am either going to stick OEM bushes in the front or more powerflex, not decided yet.

I have recieved the electric mirrors since the last post, and i'm a bit miffed to say the least! After paying £12 for postage they turned up in a "Cadbury's Picnic" 48 bar box and the protective packaging was all re-used bubblewrap/newspaper and the postage mark only had £5.75 on it.  :angry: Now imagine my joy when i opened the box to be presented with 2 mirrors, a switch and NO wiring! Got in touch with matey that sold them and he is trying to find the wiring, STILL, 20 days later! I doubt it will surface though so i guess we'll have to sort out a partial refund  :rolleyes:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2007, 21:31 »
I need to stop going on ebay  :lipsrsealed:

Bought this the other day for a little over a tenner delivered, it was too cheap for me to just let it sit there!

My plan is to either pollish it or spray it silver to get it looking brand spankers. Whatever i do i will be repainting the "dohc 16v" bit in mars red to match my car. I also have a spare cam cover sat here that'll most probably be sprayed satin black with the little raised fins either silver or pollished to match the manifold.  :smiley:

I may even attack the inside with a dremmel  :undecided:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2008, 21:37 »
Well, i was hoping that i would be making a big update this weekend with lots of pics of an engine coming out and a new one going in, but it didn't happen! It wasn't due to lack of time but more annoyingly due to a lack of money. The christmas period took it's toll on my wallet and unfortunately i don't have the cash right now to get it all done to the standard and safety level that i want so i'll have to wait a bit.

As i've said before, i could stick it in there tomorrow and it would work. Well if i do it properly that is! However, i want to upgrade the brakes from the standard 239mm items that are on there at the moment. They're not exactly confidence inspiring to say the least! I also want to change the front subframe as it looks a little suspect.

The shopping list now looks like this:

Rear engine mount
Gearbox mount
Poly bushes - arb and the front wishbone bushes
Wishbone ball joints
New subframe - sourced one brand new, just don't have the cash yet
G60 top mounts
Braided brake hoses
Either a new downpipe or a 4 branch manifold

I get paid on the 17th and I have lots of bits to sell in the near future so hopefully it can be done between then and the 28th which is when i'm back at uni.

The bits that will be for sale include:

TSR stainless manifold for an 8v - hardly used
Kent gs1h camshaft with vernier pulley
Reconditioned hydraulic lifter 8v cylinder head
2E bottom end with about 80k miles
Potentially a set of GAZ adjustable shock absorbers - nearly new!
A pair of Eibach anti-roll bars
A set of 15" BBS RA alloys
A mk3 gti interior in mint condition
A mk2 gti interior in good condition
A pair of mk2 door pocket speaker grilles
and more..............

It will most probably all be chucked on ebay next week so if you're interested in any of it give me a shout. I can even send decent pics now with my spanking new xmas pressie!

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2008, 22:03 »
It wasn't due to lack of time but more annoyingly due to a lack of money. The christmas period took it's toll on my wallet and unfortunately i don't have the cash right now to get it all done to the standard and safety level that i want so i'll have to wait a bit.

Oh, and some thingy broke into the car so i had to pay out to fix that and make the car secure  :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2008, 16:23 »

I get paid on the 17th and I have lots of bits to sell in the near future so hopefully it can be done between then and the 28th which is when i'm back at uni.

I've been paid, but am now potentially out of a job  :angry:

Time to give up???????

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 20 April 2008, 13:02 »
Allrighty then, long time without any updates. The main reason being there haven't been any updates to make!  :grin:

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and as much as i don't want to, i think i'm going to get rid  :cry: There are a couple of reasons, but the main one is just the cost of running.

Sooo, once my exams are out of the way things will start moving and i'll get something a little cheaper to run (maybe a mk3 tdi, maybe a mk3 polo). I'm then hoping to earn big bucks over the summer, some of which will be put aside for next year at uni and the other part will most probably be ploughed back into a mk2.

This time however i will go for a late spec car as i haven't had one yet and fancy a change. It will also be a little more civilised in terms of lots of sound proofing, pas, full electrics, a decent stereo etc etc. The only thing that won't be civilised is the engine, which i shall keep quiet on for now  :wink:

Back to the current car, it is due it's MOT at the start of May and there are a couple of things that i think need attention:

• The front top mounts got an advisory notice last year so i'll be changing them. While i'm there i think i may use some Boge turbo shocks i have sat in the garage too
  • The exhaust has been banging on the beam a bit more lately so i'll replace all of the exhaust hangers and realign if necessary.
  • The car still won't idle properly and i have a feeling it related to the alternator. I'll try and replace it before the MOT and hopefully that will sort it, although i have been reading that the car doesn't have to idle properly by itself for the emissions test  :smiley: Will still be good to sort it though.

So i guess that is it for now, keep an eye out for a for sale ad in a month or so  :sad:

« Last Edit: 20 April 2008, 13:06 by Mew »

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2008, 22:58 »
WHY CAN'T I MAKE MY MIND UP!?!?  :laugh:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2008, 21:02 »
f**k it, mind made up, mk2 stays, mot gets done, engine goes in, GAME ON QUAHOG!!!!!  :cool:

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2008, 13:49 »
made the right choice :afro:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2008, 12:56 »
Going home tomorrow (where the car is) for roughly 1 week to sort it out and get it ready for an MOT.

List of things to do:

• Fit new coilovers complete with new top mounts
  • Buy a set of exhaust rubbers as one of the remaining 3 snapped about 50 miles from home the other week. 40 miles with the exhaust on the beam was not fun  :sad:
  • Oil and filter change, inc the rocker cover gasket and a clean out of the rocker cover
  • Maybe put in some new front seatbelts, not sure the current ones retract properly all of the time
  • Fit some front brake pad retaining clips, last person didn't bother and the rattle is highly annoying
  • Sort out the fecking idle :angry: For this i'm going to clean all earths (again), make a new alternator/starter motor/battery wiring loom, set the timing and idle (again), and if that lot doesn't work i'll kick it very hard!

I'll try and take pics of the work, although i tend to get a bit caught up in the moment and just get on with it!

As for the engine conversion, a TSR manifold should be on its way to me in the next couple of days so that is the exhaust side sorted now.

The plan for the engine is now:

Get a front subframe assembled with poly bushes, new ball joints, new rear engine and gearbox mounts

Buy new brake hoses (Goodridge hopefully), discs, pads and master cylinder for the G60 set-up

Sounds so simple when i put it like that, but that is still a couple of hundred quid away :undecided: