Author Topic: Mew - A reg mk2 project  (Read 39484 times)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Mew - A reg mk2 project
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2007, 22:17 »
Sell me those Eibach ARBs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit - Opps...I'm in teh thread.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2007, 12:18 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2007, 22:34 »
OI!!

Get outta my thread!!!!!  :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 August 2007, 18:10 »
I'm not too sure how, but i forgot that i bought these about 2 months ago!

A set of Gaz adjustable shocks, the front are top adjustable and the rears by a little knob on the bottom of the shock.  :cool:

-40mm Apex springs:

I also have a set of Eibach springs back at home, although i've heard that they don't work too well with Gaz shocks  :sad:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2007, 12:01 »
I now have a 2.0 16v lump sat on the garage floor complete with 16v gearbox and driveshafts/hubs still attached  :cool: I also have all of the engine loom out of the donor car ready to go into mine.

I intended to remove the complete front end from the donor car including the subframe and wishbones etc, but the subframe had other ideas. In the end i unbolted the engine from the subframe, took the downpipe off and disconnected the hubs from the steering rack and lifted the engine out with a crane.

The next step will be to build up a repainted subframe complete with new wishbone bushes and a set of powerflex steering rack bushes. I'll also stick a new rear mount and gearbox mount on while it is out of the car because it would be rude not to!

I will stick some pics up later today, i'm off to cut a Golf up.......

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2007, 16:34 »
The magic number:  :smiley:

Ready and waiting for a new home:

The fatherless son subframe on the donor car that refuses to come out:  :angry:

Some of the wiring that i have removed:

Shortened front end:

Roof chop:

« Last Edit: 21 September 2007, 16:37 by Mew »

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2007, 22:48 »
Right, things are on hold for a bit until i get some cash  :sad:

If i wanted to i could put the engine in over the next few days as everything is ready to go for the swap.

However, i would like to strip down a subframe and either get it powdercoated or Hammerite it. Whilst i'm doing that i also want to do the wishbones and replace the bushes, possibly poly but i'm also looking into Audi TT bushes. I have some Powerflex steering rack bushes ready to go on and also a set of Eibach arb's. I'm also going to get a new fitting kit for the arb's and may also polybush the front as i've heard good things about that. I'll be using a solid engine mount on the front but will be replacing the rear and gearbox mounts with the most heavy duty standard items.

So here is my shopping list:

Gearbox mount
Rear engine mount
Eibach arb fitting kit
Anti roll bar poly bushes
Wishbone bushes (front and rear)
New wishbone ball joints
A bit of Hammerite for subframe or a new one if cheap enough
G60 top mounts for the new shocks

And that little lot will come to at least £130  :sick:
« Last Edit: 04 May 2008, 17:35 by Mew »

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2007, 13:43 »
Well, this was meant to be engine swap weekend  :angry:

It hasn't happened for a couple of reasons:

Our driveway leading to the garage is shared with our neighbours, and they ever so politely parked their car between our garage and theirs and as a consequence blocked off access to our garage. They then f**ked off on holiday. This was last week when i was going to order the parts, but in the end didn't as i didn't expect the neighbours to be back before this weekend. As it turns out, they came back on Tuesday or wednesday.  :angry:

On Thursday morning i got a call to ask me in for an interview at the Mini factory on Friday morning. Thursday evening i got called to ask to go in asap so i went down there about 7ish and got the job. I then went in at 9am on Friday for 2 hours and then had my first shift at 5:30pm on the Friday evening until 3:15 am Saturay  :huh:

I guess it is going to have to wait until after Crimbo now. :cry: I will however put new shocks, springs and top mounts on in the very near future.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2007, 14:26 »
I got a mate who works there bud, whereabouts you working? My mate works in paint.

Nick

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2007, 14:28 »
Just to show what i mean about the garage set-up:

Our garage is the one to the right with the doors open, neighbours garage is the one to the left. They left their car between the 2 garages in front of the gates to their garden.

I was not impressed  :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2007, 23:02 »
Not the biggest update ever, but i have treated the car/myself to a couple of bits that are more for everyday driving than performance.

First up are a pair of door pockets that have been modified (or bodged) to accept 5" speakers. They need finishing off where they have had the mdf/fibreglass/filler, i think i'm just going to smooth them all up and get them tidy and then spray with black texture paint rather than cover in cloth or leather. They came with a pair of Infinity coaxials which i'll be using until i can afford and justify some components. That said, i haven't heard them in the car yet so i may think they're more than good enough and just leave them!

Secondly i have won these on ebay this evening. Not much to say really, electric mirrors for the quarter-light doors. Come complete with switch and all working:

That is all for now.  :smiley: