Author Topic: Coolant Silica Bag  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Coolant Silica Bag
« Reply #60 on: 29 November 2023, 23:30 »
Recently bought a 2010 GTI PP for my wife. It has the 'Mit Silica' stamped on the reservoir.

Isnt it as easy to take the tank off, puncture the bag to release the crystale, flush them out and then remove empty bag?
i dont think theres such a thing as a Mk 6 2010 PP?
:wink: :wink:

I think you might be correct. I meant a 2019 GTi PP. Just testing,glad you spotted the deliberate mistake! :)
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 30 November 2023, 07:05 »
Recently bought a 2010 GTI PP for my wife. It has the 'Mit Silica' stamped on the reservoir.

Isnt it as easy to take the tank off, puncture the bag to release the crystale, flush them out and then remove empty bag?
i dont think theres such a thing as a Mk 6 2010 PP?

I just bought a new coolant tank, about £30 ISTR. The bag allegedly helps prevent the G13 antifreeze degenerate over time, tested mine the other day and it’s still good enough down to -37. I still siphon the tank out every few months and top up with neat G13 though - a 2 minute job.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2023, 07:08 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 30 November 2023, 07:52 »
I guess you would have to confirm a link between the coolants anti-freeze property (which you can test for) and its continued ability to provide anti-corrosion protection.

Also as others have mentioned the bag was removed by VW late 2019/20 - why was this?

Did they recognise a problem so removed it?

What have they replaced it with if it was needed in the first place - is a coolant change now part of the schedule rather than being sealed for life?

Maybe the newer coolant version has been improved - although I still can't find the Evo version in anything other than a pre-diluted version.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 30 November 2023, 08:13 »
I guess you would have to confirm a link between the coolants anti-freeze property (which you can test for) and its continued ability to provide anti-corrosion protection.

Also as others have mentioned the bag was removed by VW late 2019/20 - why was this?

What have they replaced it with if it was needed in the first place - is a coolant change now part of the schedule rather than being sealed for life?

Maybe the newer coolant version has been improved - although I still can't find the Evo version in anything other than a pre-diluted version.

G13 has a greater % of Glycerin vs. G12 and it is that which deteriorates, hence periodically siphoning out and topping up with neat G13 to maintain the overall effectiveness.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 30 November 2023, 12:14 »

G13 has a greater % of Glycerin vs. G12 and it is that which deteriorates, hence periodically siphoning out and topping up with neat G13 to maintain the overall effectiveness.
I think you are confused here but im open to be corrected. G12 Evo is newer than G13 and it is the G12 evo that was newly developed to not corrode latest radiator / heat exchanger constructions. My understanding is that you can pretty much put G12++, G13, or G12evo in whatever. Except the latest vehicles that require G12evo; use only G12evo in those.
G13 is Glycerine based and comes as a concentrate you dilute with distilled water (also discontinued I think).
G12evo is confusing also Glycerine based and the latest and greatest. Its basically G13 with additional Phosphate additives (P-Si-OAT). You are not meant to dilute this, hence the higher sale price.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 30 November 2023, 12:32 »
Not sure about the G12 evo, never heard of it until this thread got resurrected but sounds like it makes sense. I know G13 is still available, I bought some last month.
I guess the bag / no bag debate will continue to pop up but one thing we all have in common on this thread is fact that regular care and attention pays dividends.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #66 on: 30 November 2023, 12:57 »
Not sure about the G12 evo, never heard of it until this thread got resurrected but sounds like it makes sense. I know G13 is still available, I bought some last month.
I guess the bag / no bag debate will continue to pop up but one thing we all have in common on this thread is fact that regular care and attention pays dividends.
Agreed  :nerd: