Author Topic: Audi S3  (Read 3579 times)

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
Re: Audi S3
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2023, 16:05 »
We changed our 21 plate GTI for a new S3 in July this year.
We had been waiting 9 months for a steering wheel and a headlight which were apparently on back order.
This coupled with the software issues and the problems I had with my mk8 GTD which was only 2 hrs old
when I changed it.
We were advised by the dealer that we would be paying for software when they were out of warranty!
We got a new S3 and an A3 TDI 150 which have both been flawless.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2023, 21:45 »
My S3 got hit by a Kamikaze deer when it was a month old, wrecking one headlight, the front bumper, a few front parking sensors, the ACC sensor, windscreen washer reservoir and denting the radiator. Parts procurement for the repair were not a bother. It should be noted though that the S3 (except Vorsprung) doesn't have Matrix lights and Natrix lights are hard to come by for all VAG models that have them.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 10 December 2023, 22:06 »
My wife is running our S3 and it is a great car. I am running our A3 150 TDI and to be honest I knew what I was buying. The interior is better finished than my GTD, but I will be returning back to a GTD as soon as I can got out with the finance as the A3 lacks power and the GTD was great from that point of view. The only issue I see is the waiting time for a VW, my local VW dealer only has cars coming in that have been ordered whereas my local Audi dealer has new cars coming that they haven’t sold therefore a new Audi is easier to get.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2023, 22:46 »
We had been waiting 9 months for a steering wheel and a headlight which were apparently on back order.
This coupled with the software issues and the problems I had with my mk8 GTD which was only 2 hrs old
when I changed it.
We were advised by the dealer that we would be paying for software when they were out of warranty!

How does this s3 compare performance once rolling and mpg on longer trips?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2023, 20:29 »
when I changed it.

How does this s3 compare performance once rolling and mpg on longer trips?

Maintaining 75-80mph on the motorway, my S3 gets about 40mpg in the dry and about 36mpg in heavy rain. No GTI comparison, but our S3 feels massively quicker than our 231ps Cupra Born (which is heavy, but drivetrain losses are much lower, so power at the wheels is comparable to a 230ish ps car of similar size.

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2023, 22:19 »
Folks, we went from Ayrshire to Newcastle in our S3 and my wife was complaining about my driving as I would be using all her petrol! I told her we didn’t buy an S3 to worry about petrol! My opinion is when it’s needs it, it gets it and the garages have that much of it they are selling it !

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2023, 08:56 »
Folks, we went from Ayrshire to Newcastle in our S3 and my wife was complaining about my driving as I would be using all her petrol! I told her we didn’t buy an S3 to worry about petrol! My opinion is when it’s needs it, it gets it and the garages have that much of it they are selling it !
:grin:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 14 December 2023, 13:09 »

My S3 has been down to Birmingham and back from Newcastle this week. Consistently managed 37mpg each way, maintaining 75-80mph. On the motorway at least, the tall 7th gear seems to be more efficient at 80mph than 70mph, sat at about 2300rpm (my old manual Golf Rwould be doing about 3100rpm at the same speed in 6th.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 15 December 2023, 18:00 »

My S3 has been down to Birmingham and back from Newcastle this week. Consistently managed 37mpg each way, maintaining 75-80mph. On the motorway at least, the tall 7th gear seems to be more efficient at 80mph than 70mph, sat at about 2300rpm (my old manual Golf Rwould be doing about 3100rpm at the same speed in 6th.

Any software issues rattles and creaks etc or impressed with general build quality?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 16 December 2023, 10:00 »

Any software issues rattles and creaks etc or impressed with general build quality?

All the mass produced VAGs are screwed together the same way. In some areas where I've pulled trim out to fit front/rear dashcams, there seem to be a few additional clipping points which may help prevent rattles. No issues with it at all. I never really had a downer about haptic stering wheel buttons, but it's nice to press proper buttons, no accidental brushing of volume controls. Physical climate control buttons is a big plus though.