Author Topic: ERROR: 12V supply. Stop vehicle safely!  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
ERROR: 12V supply. Stop vehicle safely!
« on: 26 November 2023, 18:01 »
Has anybody seen this message before?? Happened to me this morning, firstly there was a long beep and message in the dash display along with a red battery icon at the bottom of the screen, the beep and message stopped after a few seconds but the battery icon remained, I then looked in the infotainment to find a stored message, [ERROR: 12v supply. Stop vehicle safely! Consult vehicle wallet.] I haven’t looked in the book as I don’t have it with me, but did look in the infotainment guides, this advises to contact the dealership, it’s going on anyway on the 4th to have the scratched steering wheel replaced so will tell them then, I’m just wondering if anybody in the meantime might know what it relates to exactly? I had been sat with the engine idling and the stop/start had kicked in, this happened about 5-10mins after it shut off, I thought perhaps it was to do with it not restarting when the voltage dropped, but that would be a yellow battery icon according to the info available in the digital owners manual, after I re started the car it seemed normal and didn’t happen again! 🤷🏼

Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: ERROR: 12V supply. Stop vehicle safely!
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2023, 19:06 »
Alternator?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2023, 19:38 »
Alternator?

At this point i’m assuming that it’s not the alternator, as the info in the digital handbook suggested that there was a different warning if it was a charging issue, I’ll be able to scan it shortly so I’ll see if it mentions the alternator.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇

Offline Lenny

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2023, 22:49 »
Why not contact the service manager at your VW dealership first thing in the morning to put your mind at ease and explain to him the problem, he should have some idea as to what the issue is.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2023, 20:08 »
Why not contact the service manager at your VW dealership first thing in the morning to put your mind at ease and explain to him the problem, he should have some idea as to what the issue is.
Yeah, have done today, they didn’t seem overly concerned and just said they’ll have a look at it when it goes in on the 4th, I was just hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on it in the meantime. I did scan it, and there were many codes! but most related to lost communication in various modules, but one of them that was a genuine fault code was
NV-Energy management
Alarm triggered
Fault code:
B1802F1

There is nothing i can see online that exactly matches the above, but what I can find may suggest a duff battery! No doubt the dealership will try and charge a small fortune for a replacement if it is that.🤨
Current car -

Gone -
👇see it here👇

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2023, 11:46 »
It's either battery or alternator..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2024, 10:56 »
Do you run the start/stop and mostly do short journeys? The battery has to do a lot of work and I had issue in a bike where it just trashed it to the point it stopped once at some light but didn’t have enough juice to restart, leaving me stuck in a right filter with oncoming traffic bearing down.

I always turn the start / stop off  if I’m doing anything less than 20miles in one go.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2024, 11:05 »
First thing i do is switch stop/start off and lane control every journey-- both most annoying

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2024, 11:25 »
First thing i do is switch stop/start off and lane control every journey-- both most annoying

You need OBD11 to get rid of Lane assist/Kamikaze mode.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2024, 14:16 »
Thanks, but dont want to tempt fate while still under warranty