Author Topic: Golf-R Lead Times?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Golf-R Lead Times?
« on: 20 November 2023, 09:10 »
Hi all,

I ordered a Golf R back in May 2023 and was initially given June 2024 as a delivery date! (I wasn't aware of lead times prior to signing the contract)

Since then this unconfirmed date has moved forward back to Oct 2023, Nov 2023, Dec 2023 and today now moved to 8th Jan 2024.

Has anyone else had similar experiences past or present and whats your thoughts on this being the final date or potentially moving again?

VW Windrush dealer are still unable to provide details if this is confirmed or unconfirmed.

Many thanks!
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Golf-R Lead Times?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2023, 10:02 »
There’s been some forum members on the Golf R forum who’ve waited around two years after placing their orders before getting their cars.

During the past three years, lead times have been impacted primarily by Covid, semiconductor supply shortages and the war in Ukraine. VW were continuing to take customer orders while being impacted by the aforementioned events, which created a sizeable backlog of unfulfilled orders, and that added to lead times for customers - especially those who have most recently placed their orders. VW’s suppliers will also have been affected by the issues listed above.

Things do seem to have been improving during 2023 - from what I’ve read elsewhere, VW appear to have ramped up production earlier this year. Also, Covid is probably having negligible - if any - impact now and I suspect semiconductor supplies are no longer a significant issue. Ukraine was a major supplier of parts / components to motor manufacturers before the war with Russia, but I dare say VW have found alternative sources for parts / components previously supplied by Ukrainian manufacturers.

There’s always chance that your indicated build date will change again, although not necessarily further into the future - it’s not unknown for dates to be brought forward as well as move out.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2023, 10:42 »
VW seemed to have cleared most of the backlog of sporty Golf orders that disappeared into the void for a couple of years. Many are now sat in showrooms as cancelled orders, plus there are also dozens on the VW website as ‘coming soon’ which I’ll presume are locked in builds or already built and sat at the docks.
Order books closed in May for the R and many of the current unsold physical cars are in showroom spec - leather and sunroofs - which is exactly what they did on the rundown of 7.5’s. These parts clear out cars are probably leapfrogging customer orders as VW often do that.

Does your car have a particular spec adekil?

Personally I’d nab a physical car with a discount and use VW’s current finance promo on top, otherwise your car might be one of the last off the line right before the 8.5 comes on stream and therefore hit with instant depreciation owing to being literally one of the last RHD ordered.

Then again it might just suddenly appear as built. VW can be weird like that.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2023, 11:39 »
VW seemed to have cleared most of the backlog of sporty Golf orders that disappeared into the void for a couple of years. Many are now sat in showrooms as cancelled orders, plus there are also dozens on the VW website as ‘coming soon’ which I’ll presume are locked in builds or already built and sat at the docks.
Order books closed in May for the R and many of the current unsold physical cars are in showroom spec - leather and sunroofs - which is exactly what they did on the rundown of 7.5’s. These parts clear out cars are probably leapfrogging customer orders as VW often do that.

Does your car have a particular spec adekil?

Personally I’d nab a physical car with a discount and use VW’s current finance promo on top, otherwise your car might be one of the last off the line right before the 8.5 comes on stream and therefore hit with instant depreciation owing to being literally one of the last RHD ordered.

Then again it might just suddenly appear as built. VW can be weird like that.

This is a lease order so unfortunately i'm locked in.

Spec is basic since I didn't want to pay too much more than my current R - Extras added are 19" Diamond Cut Estoril and Rear View Camera ,So solid White as the colour.

Just wondering if anyone had orders cancelled or as I've also read expecting to wait up to or beyond 2 years.

As much as I love my current R, it has to go back and has always had creaking noises which VW never managed to repair so quite looking forward (and hoping) the new R is creak free!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2023, 17:50 »
You’ll be ok as far as the order goes. Very unlikely it’ll get cancelled so long as the order went through in time for VW’s deadline. Worst case scenario is you’ll get an 8.5!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2023, 20:16 »
You’ll be ok as far as the order goes. Very unlikely it’ll get cancelled so long as the order went through in time for VW’s deadline. Worst case scenario is you’ll get an 8.5!!

Please educate me if I’m being at all naive, but i cannot think of any scenario where having ordered and locked in a Mk8 before order cut off, that a Mk8.5 would be delivered.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2023, 20:29 »

Don’t get his hopes up like that he won’t ever get the 8.5…..
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2023, 20:49 »

Please educate me if I’m being at all naive, but i cannot think of any scenario where having ordered and locked in a Mk8 before order cut off, that a Mk8.5 would be delivered.

I was being lightheartedly flippant as I’m confident adekil will get a confirmed build sooner rather than later.

I know of an R with similar spec to the one adekil ordered that was ordered literally minutes before the cut off time that has been built already, or so I’ve been informed.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2023, 07:18 »

Don’t get his hopes up like that he won’t ever get the 8.5…..

Ha ha, stranger things have happened! Once upon a time I said I'd never get a Golf R when I first saw them (due to financial situation), i've now had 2 and waiting for my third  :grin: