Author Topic: The end of MK8 is near….  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: The end of MK8 is near….
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2023, 10:08 »
Surely it's a bit chicken and egg with SUV's, which came first the makers pushing something based on an existing platform or the demand from drivers - when I drove back from my local dealers on Saturday and stopped at some lights I was surrounded buy mediums/large Korean built SUVs - they were everywhere - I hope that VW don't believe that all drivers think bigger is better - when I'm forced to go EV then I will be looking for something sporty and Golf sized (or smaller) - I hope VW will make something that fits the bill.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2023, 10:10 »
Its the same way as the Mondeo/Insignia segment dropped out of the market.

Its definitely happening, I think BEV's were the final nail in the coffin - they are either small city cars or great big container ship sized.

It adjusts people's mindsets when they see these things when they see new ones in a car park.

People imagine the small car (Corsa sized) is for 1 person and more than that they need a Range Rover.

It wasn't true before and its still not true but cars are all about statements to most and a Golf (or Focus or Astra or A3) just doesn't cut it.

VW say the Golf will live on as a BEV but I don't think it will. They might try but I think it will be a commercial fail and it will be cancelled.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2023, 10:16 »
Agreed Fred, in the same way as the Golf wasn’t called a Beetle in 1974 (or whenever it was) the Golf name should be put out to pasture until some bright spark in 2044 brings out a trendy retro Golf based on whatever platform is in use at that time be it EV, hydrogen, or time travelling nuclear fusion powered by household waste.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2023, 10:43 »
I just had a look and it seems its the UK with this trend....Across Europe the Golf is the 4th best seller

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2023-september-europe-car-sales-and-market-analysis/

That mix is quite different to the UK best selling list!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2023, 11:12 »
The model Y seems universally popular, I see loads of them about and it puzzles me as they’re the ugliest Tesla and probably the least aerodynamic due to being quite tall.
Is there a proliferation of people with abnormally large foreheads around the world?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2023, 14:11 »
Range Rover effect...

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2023, 14:33 »
Is there a proliferation of people with abnormally large foreheads around the world?

:grin:

100% agree! I really struggle with the looks of Tesla's in general. The new Model 3 is inoffensive at best imo, but that model Y is absolutely hideous.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2023, 20:36 »
Right now more than ever a lot of people are going for Tesla because pound for pound there isn’t anything or much else that beats it on performance, range, standard equipment for X amount per month….

They are now so common place that it’s a case of people following the herd….  Well if he has one it must be decent etc.

People see past the looks and just care about what the best spec’d, best performance car for my monthly budget… looks I find way down the list.

Customers are not loyal to the VAG groups like they used to be….
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2023, 20:55 »
… and you don’t hear Tesla people complaining about everything being on a touchscreen  :whistle:

To be honest, if you’re leasing you can’t afford to be brand loyal and if you get a company car allowance a Tesla is a standout contender.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2023, 21:54 »
Tesla owners complaining? Go Google that...

The bloody things make a mk8 look well done...

You are always a beta tester with a tesla