Author Topic: Is this the latest software  (Read 5736 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Is this the latest software
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2023, 11:49 »
1941 is the latest version.... but on older cars (21 plates) you probably need a new steering wheel as well.

Possibly also a new MIB unit.... they've ordered me one!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2023, 13:06 »
Mine is a 21 plate.

A new steering wheel has been ordered after the car was in with VW yesterday, although they have no idea when it will arrive. The last one they ordered took a month to arrive.

I’ll ask them to check the software again when the car goes in to have the steering wheel fitted.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2023, 11:17 »
Mine is a 21 plate.

A new steering wheel has been ordered after the car was in with VW yesterday, although they have no idea when it will arrive. The last one they ordered took a month to arrive.

I’ll ask them to check the software again when the car goes in to have the steering wheel fitted.

What are the issues you were having as they diagnosed a new wheel?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2023, 11:38 »
Mine is a 21 plate.

What are the issues you were having as they diagnosed a new wheel?

Random bongs with Travel Assist and Emergency Assist warnings displayed. No impact on the drivability of the car, just annoying.  Did a 450 mile round trip to Chester a couple of weeks ago with no bongs.  Drove a mile to my local supermarket on weekend and it bonged twice, warning came up then disappeared - then again 🤔

Online BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2023, 16:36 »
Exactly the same as my 21 plate.  I had a period of 6 months without a single bong but the last 6 months it's been bong central in every journey.  I've got a service coming up so I'll be taking it up with the dealer.

Does having a new steering wheel actually solve the problem?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Yorkshire gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2023, 09:27 »
1941 is the latest version.... but on older cars (21 plates) you probably need a new steering wheel as well.

Possibly also a new MIB unit.... they've ordered me one!
My 21 plate is booked in next month as it keeps rebooting this is a new issue and the bongs are back more persistent than ever. I’m on 1898. What will resolve these issues?
2021 Kings Red GTI
2015  White GTI PP

Offline Yorkshire gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2023, 09:33 »
Exactly the same as my 21 plate.  I had a period of 6 months without a single bong but the last 6 months it's been bong central in every journey.  I've got a service coming up so I'll be taking it up with the dealer.

Does having a new steering wheel actually solve the problem?
I had the same issue, 6 or so months of quiet and then back came the bongs with now unwarranted rebooting included.
2021 Kings Red GTI
2015  White GTI PP

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2023, 10:53 »
Well after contacting the dealer in Nottingham, from where i bought my GTI, about a software update, and a replacement engine cover--- not very interested, didnt bother getting back to me. Decided  to ditch them with their non interest attitude
Contacted VW Mansfield, couldnt be more helpful. Engine cover ordered, arrived the next day, car booked in, as i also had the creaking, grinding noise which sounded as though it was coming from the drivers door area.
Collected to day, software update to 1941, engine cover fitted, grinding noise sorted--apparently it was a bellows which needed greasing, complementary health check, everything sorted!
Will be using Mansfield in future, nothing too much trouble, Nottingham lost my business for future purchases.
Excellent service VW Mansfield , thankyou

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2023, 11:33 »
Glad you got some action on this.

I will offer a bit of a dampener to it.... expect all of those problems (except the engine cover obvs!) to re-occur.

I haven't seen a permanent fix to any of this crap yet.

Possibly a 5F swap to H58? Maybe? VW have been trying to avoid doing this at all costs, because its very expensive and complicated - needing more controller swap outs than just the 5F.

As for the creaking, that will come back too. Grease wears off, starts creaking again.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2023, 15:29 »
Well after contacting the dealer in Nottingham, from where i bought my GTI, about a software update, and a replacement engine cover--- not very interested, didnt bother getting back to me. Decided  to ditch them with their non interest attitude
Contacted VW Mansfield, couldnt be more helpful. Engine cover ordered, arrived the next day, car booked in, as i also had the creaking, grinding noise which sounded as though it was coming from the drivers door area.
Collected to day, software update to 1941, engine cover fitted, grinding noise sorted--apparently it was a bellows which needed greasing, complementary health check, everything sorted!
Will be using Mansfield in future, nothing too much trouble, Nottingham lost my business for future purchases.
Excellent service VW Mansfield , thankyou

I agree with Fred.

I had the creaking, grinding noise from the front nearside of my GTI, so the dealership applied the old miracle grease solution to try to sort it. It didn't work, although it did very briefly.  :sad:

However, I was back at the dealership a few months later to have both front boots and top mounts replaced. To be fair, the Service guys did say on my first visit that I would need the suspension parts replaced and rebuilt but they had to go through the approved flowchart process (try the grease fob off answer first ruse), otherwise VW would not have approved the warranty claim. The second repair seems to have done the trick, for now.  :grin:
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.