Author Topic: New to forum Golf Gti Performance 2020 to be delivered  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Rich62

• Not said much yet
Hi All,
I've just come from owning a Ford Fiesta ST which was fantastic, the owners club was also great and so helpful over the years, it looks like this one will be too and hopefully I'll be able to contribute over time!

I had done some research on the Golf Performance and seems that the DSG was replaced with a more robust version early 2019ish? That was a deciding factor for wanting a late 2019-2020 DSG model.

Out of interest are there any issues to look out for in general or to expect? Coming from the ST the common issues were seized brake side pins and engine mounts.

Car is due to be delivered Thursday  :smiley:

Thanks

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: New to forum Golf Gti Performance 2020 to be delivered
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2022, 12:43 »
I think you mean the 7 speed DSG vs the older 6 speed.

As for things that go wrong.... water pump/thermostat housing is the number one Golf fault!

About a 900 quid job at a garage.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2022, 19:24 »
Welcome to the forum.

What shape Fiesta ST did you have? Mk7.5 or the newer one with the 1.5, 3 cylinder?

We have a Mk7.5 Fiesta ST and a 2019 Golf GTi (manual) at the moment.
Both good cars, the Fiesta is more fun and rawer than the Golf, but it can be tiresome with the stiff suspension.

I'd be interested in your thoughts of both cars once you have owned the Golf for a while.

Pics needed of the Golf when it arrives.  :smiley:
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Rich62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2022, 11:13 »
I had a Mk7.5 ST3 in Blue for a over 6 years and ended up using it for the occasional track day but mainly my daily.
It had Mountune springs, Short shifter, Stage 2 Collins performance, Stage 1 intercooler, Braided lines, and uprated engine mounts all round. The springs actually improved the ride comfort slightly, as well and handling and stance.

You described it perfectly I think, after a brief test drive I'd agree that the ST is rawer and more fun (especially with the mods) but I want something with more comfort (getting older) and a nicer interior whilst maintaining a great all rounder that the GTI obviously is and really a superior car in general.

I'm actually waiting for the loan to come through as I type and may have the car either end of today, worst case Thursday. Feeling like a child at christmas!  :laugh:

I'll send pics when I can, it's Atlantic Blue with the 19" wheels. Although the 19" look great I Ideally wanted the 18" wheels purely because of the difference in tyre price but they sell so damn quick I had to be less picky!