Author Topic: Difficulties with brake pads  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: Difficulties with brake pads
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2022, 12:04 »
I'm sure you already know, but it's very easy to return with eBay if you do have a problem. Sellers just don't add extra packing as it saves a tiny bit of money on every sale

I need new front discs and pads on mine so will look out for this. Out of interest, what type of pads are they? Not sure if I should try some different ones or not

They are standard OEM replacement Textar. I have had them in the past on other cars and found them to be pretty good. I had an ebay voucher, and there was a 15% discount running on certain sellers so I got them for £33 all in. Normally they are around £50

Thanks for the reply. I assume mine are still OEM and I also find them very good so will probably stick with them.

I don't like Euro Car Parts. My local is useless and so are the people working there. Went in to collect a bottle of screen wash I bought online. 1 person serving and another just stood there doing nothing. To over 20 min just to get served. Another 10 minute waiting while he went to grab 1 bottle off the shelf (clearly was just messing around or just went for a break on his phone). Didn't even come back with the right item. Tried to give me a tiny 1L bottle instead of the large ones. Over 30 min just to get 1 item

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2022, 19:06 »
The OEM brakes are fine for normal road use.

The original pads are made by TRW I think (thats what is stamped on them).

But as the originals are about £125 for a set and these cost between £40 and £50 I had to get these instead. I have used Textars on a few cars and always found them at least as good as the OE stuff.

Allcarparts and ACE parts on ebay sell them, often you can get them on one of ebay's discounts too.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2022, 20:16 by symonh2000 »
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2022, 19:17 »
Textar are a good quality brake pad, original equipment on many Porsche, over the years.
I recently bought a set of Textar pads (not for the GTi) from the same Ebay vendor & despite the flimsy packaging they arrived undamaged.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2022, 09:30 »
Fitted brembo recently. Reasonable price and no excessive dust.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2022, 12:08 »
I have heard bad things about Brembo recently, especially the ones supplied by Euro car parts.

Allegedly they are made in China by Allied Nippon who also make Comline Brakes.

I am happy with Textar, ATE, Jurid, TRW, and Mintex have been fine for me also.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2022, 12:45 »
This thread had me thinking about when I've changed brake pads, the answer was once in 18+ years and 160k+ miles! That covers the last three cars I've had, chances are it's only one set in the last 25 years or more! I think I need to give my cars a bit more welly....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2022, 13:09 »
I get good mileage from my brakes too. On the current Golf though it has arrived with me with brake discs up front that are quite well lipped and could do with changing. The pads are about 2/3 worn but you can't really replace the discs and leave the pads.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #17 on: 29 June 2022, 13:36 »
This is a bit of a moan really. I have been trying to get brake pads for my car. Twice I have ordered sets from previously trusted sellers on ebay, and twice they have arrived damaged due to insuffcient packaging.

This clip/sping thing could probably be straightened, but why should I need to?

Has anyone else had this, the clip thinging doesn't look praticularly robust.

I got some lovely fake EBC discs and red stuff pads from eBay. Very convincing until I used them
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 29 June 2022, 13:57 »
The Textar ones come with a security code on a sticker sealing the box. If you enter the code on their website it will confirm that they are genuine.

I cannot see fake EBC brakes being much worse than the real thing. They are one brand I will not use due to previous bad experience.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 June 2022, 14:35 »
Cant beat the real deal from VAG in my experience.

They are a compound specifically tailored for that application, not just a pad that fits a multitude of MK7's with the same fitment.

A pad for a GTI could be different to the pad for an R estate for example due to the extra weight.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.