Author Topic: Top tip. (Might save you some hassle.)  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
Top tip. (Might save you some hassle.)
« on: 15 June 2022, 09:18 »
The spring loaded plunger that pops out when you press the fuel filler door is prone to sticking. The Mk 7 has reached that stage now.

It is possible to open the door but there’s a fair chance you will break the plastic clips on the door.

To pre-empt this problem please consider giving the plunger a little lubrication. I used WD40 when I eventually gained access and it now works properly.

Hope this helps avoid you having the issue I recently went through.
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Top tip. (Might save you some hassle.)
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2022, 12:01 »
You managed to get the filler cap open then??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2022, 13:18 »
You managed to get the filler cap open then??

Yes. I used a silicone spatula so as not to damage the paintwork.

Once the door was proud enough to wedge my fingers behind I tried to slide it forward. This was only partially successful. The leading edge fouled. However with a bit of of juggling I eventually removed the cover. Then used brute force on the door. Lubed it up and all works fine.

Glued one tab back on the door and refitted. Good as new.
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2022, 14:05 »
I've used lithium grease on my fuel filler cap since 2013 when I had my gtd and never had an issue. Just needs a little spray every now and again 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2022, 14:24 »
Good tip, thanks, I have replaced the plunger thingy once before, not difficult but I'd rather not so I'll spray it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2022, 15:14 »
I've used lithium grease on my fuel filler cap since 2013 when I had my gtd and never had an issue. Just needs a little spray every now and again 👍

Ditto above apart from mine is 2014. :grin:

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2022, 22:45 »

To pre-empt this problem please consider giving the plunger a little lubrication. I used WD40 when I eventually gained access and it now works properly.

WD40 is not a lubricant- it is for Water Displacement (WD), get some proper lube in there. (Can be aerosol if want)
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2022, 19:34 »

WD40 is not a lubricant- it is for Water Displacement (WD), get some proper lube in there. (Can be aerosol if want)

The European version contains c.25% petroleum based oils so it does have some lubricating properties but I agree with your comment. I use it for cleaning and displacement and the follow up with a lithium based aerosol lube.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2022, 22:48 »
How about GT85 that has PTFE in it.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2022, 07:44 »

The European version contains c.25% petroleum based oils so it does have some lubricating properties but I agree with your comment. I use it for cleaning and displacement and the follow up with a lithium based aerosol lube.

In addition to WD40’s traditional moisture displacement product, they also manufacture a white lithium grease which is a lubricant. Other brands are available - e.g. 3 in 1.

I think it’s white lithium grease that the motor trade use to lubricate such things as car door hinges. Forum member @mcmaddy has said earlier in this thread that he uses lithium grease on the fuel flap locking pin / plunger. It’s lubricating properties should minimise the risk of the locking pin getting stuck in the locked position in future.

The original VW warranty fix for the sticking flap issue on earlier mk7 Golfs was to shave off a small amount of plastic from the plastic loop on the back of the filler flap that the locking pin slides into, allowing more room for the pin to slide in / out of the loop freely without sticking. However, with age, the actuator that operates the locking pin has been known to fail, so replacement of the actuator is something to consider as a long term solution to this problem.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl