Author Topic: VW Body Protection Warranty Question  (Read 684 times)

Offline je5343

• Just got here
VW Body Protection Warranty Question
« on: 09 February 2022, 17:24 »
Recently it seems my 2014 golf has started shedding its paint and I'd just like to get a bit more information about VW's Body Protection Warranty (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/my-car/warranties/new-car-terms.html) and whether it applies in my case or not before I proceed.

I've taken some photos and given them ids for easier reference.
https://imgur.com/a/Fe58GOm

Some of the pictures are of small defects which I can see being caused by stones (it is a daily after all), I'm more interested in opinions on #3, #5, #7.
  • #3 - It seems odd that the body would start to rust in the panel gaps, sure that's can't have been caused by external damage?
  • #5 - Is the driver side wing, that I can see being rejected because stones could be flung up and into it, but #2 is the same wing and that's got rust poking it's head out at the top of the arch
  • #7 - No idea where this came from, the whole driver side rear quarter paint seems to be very brittle around the rust spots

So, my questions:
  • Do dealers only handle claims if the vehicle was purchased through them (I bought this vehicle privately)?
  • Do you think this is a valid case and worth contacting my local dealer about or is this just normal wear and tear?
  • Is there anything that I've missed or is important to note?

Cheers

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: VW Body Protection Warranty Question
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2022, 17:48 »
Wheel arches are notorious on VAG's for rusting at the top like that and over the years VW have paid out under warranty to have them replaced.  It happened on my mk5 years ago - it was out of the first 3 year 'normal' warranty at that point. 

I think they would argue that the damage at the rear edge is caused by stonechips and thus not covered  :undecided:

Definitely worth a shot based on the rust at the top of wheel location. 

edit: the dealer won't care if you bought it from them or not for warranty.  If it comes down to goodwill then it helps and also if you have a full dealer service history. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2022, 19:30 »
I think the key phrase in the body warranty is 'through corrosion'. The rust starts inside the bodywork and appears on the external surface. Always worth starting a claim though as not a cost to you.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2022, 20:55 »
Photos 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 will be classed as external damage from stone chips so you'll be looking for a good will based on those photos to help reduce to cost of a repair.

Photos 2 & 3 definitely present a picture of poor zinc coating and would be under the 10 year paint corrosion warranty.

So the process you will go through is go to any VW dealer they will start a warranty claim, doesn't matter where the car was purchased or if you're the 10th owner. They will then take a paint depth gauge and go round the car to identify if the car has been in an accident or if the panels in question have been resprayed.

This information is submitted with the warranty claim to Volkswagen, if it is approved you will get your repairs for free, or you may be given a goodwill gesture from the dealer.

Do note however not all dealers are the same and others offer more help for these warranty repairs than others, typically I have found dealers that have their own bodyshop to be more helpful as they make more profit of these jobs, eg Sytner group.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/