Author Topic: Coolant Silica Bag  (Read 8653 times)

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
Re: Coolant Silica Bag
« Reply #50 on: 26 November 2022, 14:51 »
Isn't that why the thermostat housing is such a poor design?! To force owners to change the coolant everytime it breaks..:whistle:
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2022, 14:55 »
Absolutley, just need to check the G13 concentration, easy compared to having to take the dash out if the matrix gets blocked (or worse)🙄
« Last Edit: 26 November 2022, 15:59 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 27 November 2022, 18:01 »
Well I've gone and done it this afternoon!

I was checking the car over after a week away in Pembroke and thought I'd see how obvious it was.... felt it with my gloved finger and could move right to the opening... then thought ok I'll go for it.

Definitely needed a pair of artery forceps (joys of working in the NHS) to grab hold of it.... boy it's big... square bag coming out of round hole... had a few moments when I thought of giving up as really did have give it a tug to get it out.

Just to say I managed 49.9 mpg on the way down from Kent and 47.8 on the way back but I couldn't believe how cheap fuel is down there.... used half a tank to get down there and the local Shell had v-power at £1.69, on the way back another top-up and it had gone down to £1.60!  Regular unleaded was £1.43 and diesel £1.69.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Online madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2022, 18:26 »
Definitely needed a pair of artery forceps (joys of working in the NHS)

LOL, exactly what I used!!
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2022, 18:48 »
I used forceps too, I have them as I often go Pike fishing.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 27 January 2023, 20:08 »
Fished this bad boy out today. Bit fiddly to get lined with cap to pull up. Bit of wiggle an squeeze to get out. Coolant level on the minimum so will have to get a top up. Happy to finally have done. 👍🏻

Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 29 November 2023, 09:54 »
Recently bought a 2010 GTI PP for my wife. It has the 'Mit Silica' stamped on the reservoir.

Isnt it as easy to take the tank off, puncture the bag to release the crystale, flush them out and then remove empty bag?

Online madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 29 November 2023, 11:15 »
Recently bought a 2010 GTI PP for my wife. It has the 'Mit Silica' stamped on the reservoir.

Isnt it as easy to take the tank off, puncture the bag to release the crystale, flush them out and then remove empty bag?

Its just as easy to clamp off the pipes in case the bag ruptures and fish it out.

Ive done a few now and its really simple, i think people just get a bit nervous about doing it to their own car.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #58 on: 29 November 2023, 13:17 »

i dont think theres such a thing as a Mk 6 2010 PP?
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 29 November 2023, 20:21 »

i dont think theres such a thing as a Mk 6 2010 PP?

I think you might be correct. I meant a 2019 GTi PP. Just testing,glad you spotted the deliberate mistake! :)