Author Topic: Coolant Silica Bag  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Coolant Silica Bag
« on: 07 February 2022, 18:23 »
Hi All, 2 questions (1) will my MY2019 GYI PP have one fitted and (2) in reality, how frequent is failure of the bag?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Coolant Silica Bag
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2022, 19:02 »
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/34794-coolant-tank-potential-issue/

Best way to see if yours has one is to siphon the coolant out of the expansion tank, it makes it easier to see/feel IMO, and you'll see it/feel it where i've marked.

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2022, 19:11 »
Thanks, I popped my finger early and I can feel a gauze so I’m assuming I have one. So, worth removing? - I assume all MK7’s have them, not just GTI’s so wonder what the failure rate is?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2022, 19:28 »
Pretty sure the expansion tank has "MIT SILIKAT" printed on the side if it has it.
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2022, 19:32 »
I removed mine as small as the risk may be of the bag rupturing, it then blocks up the heater matrix.

VW did away with the silica bag, which "tops up" the antifreeze, in later model years anyway and changed the spec of the anti freeze to compensate.

All very good if it fails whilst in warranty, but out of warranty and your looking at a big bill, and i personally wouldn't want anyone removing the dash in my car.

I would rather top up the anti freeze every couple of years than potentially have to have the heater matrix replaced and all the associated problems that will inevitably come with having the dashboard out.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2022, 19:35 »
Pretty sure the expansion tank has "MIT SILIKAT" printed on the side if it has it.

Yep, mine has MIT SILIKAT printed on the side and had the silica bag inside.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2022, 20:48 »
I am pretty sure my car (MY2020) , does not have the silica bag, as Madstaff alluded to. I will double check though!
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2022, 21:03 »
My 2020MY Polo GTI+ doesn’t have the silica bag. I can remember someone over on the Polo forum posting a picture of the expansion tank on their car (a 2019MY GTI+) and that did have ‘Mit Silikat’ printed on the side of it.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2022, 21:29 »

Yep, mine has MIT SILIKAT printed on the side and had the silica bag inside.

Ditto

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2022, 22:25 »
Is it easily removed and is there a risk of tearing it open in the process?