Author Topic: Coolant Silica Bag  (Read 8240 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Coolant Silica Bag
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2022, 22:35 »
Is it easily removed and is there a risk of tearing it open in the process?

If your gonna remove it, firstly i would clamp off the feed pipe on the bottom of the expansion tank, then if you do tear it trying to remove it just take the tank off and wash it out.

The bags themselves are quite tough, and i found it easier siphoning the coolant out first to make it easier to see what I was doing, the hardest part is manoeuvring it out the neck of the expansion tank.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2022, 22:44 »
Thats helpful, thanks

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2022, 11:52 »
I’ve just ordered a non Silica bottle £35. I dont want to risk tearing it as I pull it out.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2022, 16:57 »
I’ve just ordered a non Silica bottle £35. I dont want to risk tearing it as I pull it out.

Why? The old bottle is easy to remove.Clamp the pipe as close to the bottle as you can, then undo the bottle clips and sensor plug and pipe clip. Then you can rotate the bottle so non is spilled when you remove the pipe. Tip the coolant into a pot remove silicone bag, if it splits rinse out the bottle.

Then replace bottle, zero risk and only an eggcup of coolant lost and best of all totally free.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2022, 17:13 »
Thanks for the advice but I’ll stick with my plan.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2022, 17:17 »
Hi All, 2 questions (1) will my MY2019 GYI PP have one fitted and (2) in reality, how frequent is failure of the bag?

I'm pretty sure this issue affects the TDI's mostly and very rare on petrol cars. Happy to be corrected if thats wrong info
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2022, 17:39 »
I’m happy to change it out, better safe than sorry 👍

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2022, 08:24 »
Ya I see no point in taking this out. Mine is a 2013 and no issues, it’s there for a reason.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2022, 08:33 »
It's interesting that one of the earlier posters said that it appears VW have stopped this practise on new cars. Does that mean they have reverted back to G12 coolant from G13 ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2022, 08:50 »
IIRC I think the coolant specified is called something like G12 EVO now.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/20182/

All very confusing, but then i saw this post by Steve Cresswell/Crasher at CR Enterprises in Nottingham who is probably the most super knowledgable guy when it comes to VW.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/197007-Heater-problems
« Last Edit: 09 February 2022, 09:11 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.