Author Topic: 3 cars - threatening to sell GTI  (Read 1777 times)

Offline GTIBug

• Just got here
3 cars - threatening to sell GTI
« on: 25 October 2021, 23:44 »
 :cry: bear with me.

I have an mk7 GTI. I’ve nurtured her since new from 2015, even through expensive, known manufacturer common faults so I’m probably far too attached.

However, we have an older 12 reg Polo as well which serves as OH’s work run about and is cheap to run (I am too precious to let the GTI be taken out for this purpose). We are looking at potentially adding an MPV to the mix. It’ll take the enormous rear facing car seats in (Alhambra, Carens etc) and long driver legs better  that don’t work in the polo or GTI, and I’m less keen on SUVs following test driving, but with reduced annual mileage due to lockdowns, working from home, career breaks and growing family...three cars seems a luxury. Or is it?!?

I’d love to keep the GTI. Despite attractive part ex /wbac offers, I’ve yet to be convinced to part with the GTI. Are three cars on the drive + tax + insurance + maintenance reasonable (if financially viable) ? Or do I love the golf too much? Speak, oh voices of reason
2015 MK7 GTI | Black |

Offline GTIBug

• Just got here
Re: 3 cars - threatening to sell GTI
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2021, 23:46 »
P.s. first post, but always been here admiring forum chat from afar
2015 MK7 GTI | Black |

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2021, 08:07 »
Personal choice we have 6 and work from home.  :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2021, 08:07 »
I love my GTI, probably the best car I've owned in 40 years of driving, but as superb as it is, it's still just a car. I've felt like you many times when trading in a beloved motor for a new car, but after a few months (unless the new car turns out to be a dog or a big mistake), then the rose tinted spectacles for the older car gradually diminishes.

Also, with the GTI now being nearly 7 years old, you have to ask yourself the question if you can afford not just tax, insurance, fuel etc on the GTI as a 3rd car, but also any large repair bills which might be due on a car of such an age ? If you are cash rich and can afford it then keep it, why not, but if like most of us, it's more a sentimental attachment than anything else, then sell it.   

With the cost of motoring rising (fuel, insurance etc), unless you get pretty good use out of it as a 3rd car, then it's just a pretty paperweight.  Just my thoughts of course, YMMV.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2021, 08:14 »
Everything is a luxury really, you don't need a 4k TV when a 1080p does the same job, don't need a GTI when there's a 1.0 tsi etc. If you can justify that a third car meets your current needs and circumstances, then it's as good a reason as any, however with the current inflated car market it would put me off unless it was something very special like an E46 M3 that you can't buy anymore.

I'm assuming the MPV is the suggested car because of kids? I'm curious though you said you tried SUV's and don't like them, presumably because you want something that drives like a car. Would an estate (Skoda Octavia, Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 Series Touring etc) not make more sense from that point of view than a MPV?

If the OH could drive a bigger car daily with no issues eg just as handy parked, given insurance premiums the way they are it makes more sense to change the polo than a to buy a third car.

That being said we have a third car in the form of a £2k Honda Accord 2.2 Estate, which gets used a lot and is brilliant for all the dirty jobs.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2021, 09:17 »
I’d do as @willni suggests; sell the Polo, keep the GTI and get a large estate car.

I’ve never really bought into the MPV / SUV thing and they probably don’t offer much more than a conventional large estate car, other than a bit more headroom.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2021, 09:32 »
Have you had the water pump and the heater matrix die yet on the GTI?

Both of those were my worries about keeping my Mk7 for a long time...

About 800 quid for the water pump and 1500 for the heater matrix...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2021, 09:54 »
MPVs and SUVs are completely different types of car that appeal to completely different types of buyer.

I have an Alhambra. Masses of room for a family of 6 to go on long touring holidays, swallows anything you may wish to take to the tip ( much more than any estate), and huge flexibility.

You can't do that in any SUV, nor any estate car for that matter.

As for OPs dilemma, I would think very carefully before selling the golf. It is a special car- in terms of how well suited it is for its intended purpose and how enjoyable it is to drive.
I really wouldn't sell it unless you have to free up the money or you have nowhere to keep it.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2021, 11:17 »

Heater Matrix is a simple fix though remove the silica bag and change the coolant more often.

Friend got hit with the Water pump though had 3 of them go in a few months, luckily all were warranted.

MPVs and SUVs are completely different types of car that appeal to completely different types of buyer.

I have an Alhambra. Masses of room for a family of 6 to go on long touring holidays, swallows anything you may wish to take to the tip ( much more than any estate), and huge flexibility.

You can't do that in any SUV, nor any estate car for that matter.

But how often do you go on long touring holidays or go to the dump? It's the same as people buying Range Rover's, Tiguan's etc and saying it can go off-road, but how often does it? You're better off buying something for how you will use it for 95% of the time rather than the 5%.

I'd look at what people with company cars that do large distances everyday use, which tends to be Passat Estates, 3 series etc.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2021, 11:19 »

Perhaps I have been lucky but no significant expenditure on my much cherished 2010 mk6 gti until the last month. Clutch and DMF replaced and first new front pads but not discs at 88k miles. There are always worries but frequently cheaper to repair than buying and selling especially if the history is known from new.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.