Author Topic: All season tyres on GTD  (Read 1614 times)

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
All season tyres on GTD
« on: 20 October 2021, 15:43 »
Looking to put new tyres on my 2016 GTD to replace the Pirelli 225/35 R19.  The pirelli’s have been great for wear (over 20k on the front) and handling, but like most summer tyres, not good in snowy conditions.   So i was looking to replace with all season tyres, Michelin Crossclimates, or Goodyear vector 4 seasons or Continental all season.  I am having a really hard job trying to find a 225/35 R19 replacement.   Plenty of 18 inch 225/40.  I notice continental do their all season tyres in 235/35 R19.  I was wondering if here would fit?

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: All season tyres on GTD
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2021, 19:11 »
235/35R19 will fit they'll just have a bit more protection for the alloy. Most of us run a winter set upon 18 inch alloys for this reason All-Season/Winter tyres are hard to come by and expensive in 19in form, so it's cheaper to get 18's and protects the diamond alloys as well from the salt.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2021, 19:49 »
Thanks Willni for the information on tyres.  I will look into getting a set of 18 inch wheels. 

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2021, 23:31 »
18 inch wheels always a better option for choice of tyres and lower price.

I'll be putting my winter beaters on next week...  :smiley:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2021, 09:05 »
18 inch wheels always a better option for choice of tyres and lower price.

I'll be putting my winter beaters on next week...  :smiley:

I've got the same set up but it's still a bit mild in the North East for now  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2021, 12:29 »
thanks. Can anyone recommend any 18 inch wheels?  i pressune buying some nogaro from VW would be very expensive. cheers,

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2021, 12:47 »
There's a set of 18" genuine Pretorias with winter/all climate (can't remember which) in the classifieds at what seems like a very reasonable price.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2021, 13:49 »
I regularly see Austins pop up for around £400-£500, Nogaro are very popular for winter set ups so sit around £500-£600.

You could of course go the Rep alloy route from CM Wheels, not my cup of tea personally but it's good value for those that are comfortable with the quality of replica alloys.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2021, 15:58 »
I've got the same set up but it's still a bit mild in the North East for now  :whistle:

I'm expecting a bad winter...  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline golfDB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2022, 11:20 »
As the OP, Belatedly, I show a follow up.  Went for a set of CM wheels 18 inch Nogaro and fitted them with Cross Climate2 all season tyres.  On my second winter with them, using the 19 inch santiago’s in the summer on Michelin Pilot sport 4s.   The cross climates are superb, the grip in snotty conditions is amazing. I would be happy to use them all year round, but they don’t fill the arches like the 19 inch.    Thanks for the replies.