Author Topic: 19’s on standard GTi suspension.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
19’s on standard GTi suspension.
« on: 15 October 2021, 13:09 »
Afternoon everyone.

So looking at poss getting the 19s Acegadget has for sale for my standard GTi. The only concern I have is that from factory, if you spec’d the 19s, it changed the suspension also. Has anyone upgraded to 19s on a standard MK GTi and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 19’s on standard GTi suspension.
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2021, 15:17 »
Do Clubsports count?

Problems encountered - none
Ride quality affected -  a bit but not massively
Looks - 100% better
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2021, 15:34 »
I believe they have different suspension as standard compared to that of mine. How did you find the ride switching and do you have DCC?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2021, 15:47 »
@Boothy1979; Didn’t @Acegadget also go from the standard 18” Richmonds to those rather nice 19’s that he’s selling? If so it’d also be worth asking him (if you’ve not already done so) about differences in ride quality as he’ll be able to give you a view based on the actual 19” wheels (and tyres?) you’re considering buying.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2021, 15:58 »
I believe they have different suspension as standard compared to that of mine. How did you find the ride switching and do you have DCC?

Slightly different suspension, yes. Probably a bit firmer as standard.
Mine is non DCC.

I find the ride quality fine on anything but properly mashed up road surfaces. The latter is going to be uncomfortable no matter what wheels you’re rolling on.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2021, 16:20 »
@Boothy1979; Didn’t @Acegadget also go from the standard 18” Richmonds to those rather nice 19’s that he’s selling? If so it’d also be worth asking him (if you’ve not already done so) about differences in ride quality as he’ll be able to give you a view based on the actual 19” wheels (and tyres?) you’re considering buying.

Already asked him and he is the same as Exonian in that, he didn’t really notice a massive difference. Just because mine is a standard GTi though, I thought I would ask to see if anyone as experienced it.

Thanks for your answers though guys. Agreed to swap/buy them so I’m mega excited to get them swapped over.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2021, 17:22 »

Already asked him and he is the same as Exonian in that, he didn’t really notice a massive difference. Just because mine is a standard GTi though, I thought I would ask to see if anyone as experienced it.

Thanks for your answers though guys. Agreed to swap/buy them so I’m mega excited to get them swapped over.

They’ll look great on your White GTI; IMHO anthracite / gunmetal alloys on a white car is a really good combination :cool:. Be sure to post up a picture when you’ve got them on your car.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2021, 17:25 »
Mines black by the way but I think they will look good with the grey against the black. Will put some pics up when I get them on. Cheers mate.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2021, 18:11 »
Mines black by the way but I think they will look good with the grey against the black. Will put some pics up when I get them on. Cheers mate.

Oops! Sorry :embarrassed:; a case of mistaken identity on my part. It’s Brocky that’s got the white GTI.

Agree, they will look equally good on a black GTI. IMHO anthracite / Gunmetal coloured alloys go well with most paint colours.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2021, 18:24 »

Oops! Sorry :embarrassed:; a case of mistaken identity on my part. It’s Brocky that’s got the white GTI.

Agree, they will look equally good on a black GTI. IMHO anthracite / Gunmetal coloured alloys go well with most paint colours.

Brocky and Boothy easy mistake to make mate. Looking forward to seeing how they look.