Author Topic: Few questions for the new guy  (Read 670 times)

Offline DKGTIPP

• Just got here
Few questions for the new guy
« on: 03 October 2021, 20:31 »
Hi all,

Just got a GTI performance pack mk7 in pure white, completely standard car for now  :smug:

I have tried searching and may have been asked before so apologies if it has.

I'm trying to figure out best way to go I'm after a nice sound and more power. I hear a downpipe is all you really need for a better soundtrack but I heard this will have me failing my MOT unless it's a sports cat downpipe, is that correct ?

Also from what I have read a stage 1 is just the map on standard car and stage 2 is intercooler change and air filter plus remap, again not sure if I'm correct so hopefully someone can help and if anybody knows what rough figures to expect from stage 1 and stage 2 that would be appreciated.

Anyway thanks in advance guys and I'll post a picture when I can 👍
« Last Edit: 03 October 2021, 20:33 by DKGTIPP »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Few questions for the new guy
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2021, 23:06 »
I put hours of research into this so I'll give you my honest opinion.

To improve the sound look no further than a Clubsport S rear muffler. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk7-Clubsport-S-Exhaust-Rear-Silencer-5G6253609DD-GENUINE-NEW-/383315401354?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

This is what it sounds like - https://youtu.be/xNtUztNjDh0
For me it's perfect, no drone on the motorway which was massively important to me as at the time as I did almost 2,000 miles per month.

As for more power I ended getting a custom map from Unicorn Motor Developments. Whether you go stage 1 or stage 2 you'll go from zero to license losing speeds in less than 10 seconds with either, stage 1 is best value for money, I've never felt the need for more power than what I have but then again I don't drive quick anyway as I rely on my license for my job.

Stage 1 and a CSS muffler, job done.