Author Topic: CarPlay annoying me  (Read 983 times)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
CarPlay annoying me
« on: 30 September 2021, 19:08 »
If I’m listening to the radio, Apple CarPlay keeps cutting in and switching me to Spotify.

Normally once I’ve chosen the radio it stays on, but if, for example my wife’s got her phone plugged in and is doing anything on it, it keeps switching over.  So without deleting the CarPlay connection to that phone you can’t charge/use the phone and listen to anything else on the stereo.

Any ideas?  I can’t see how to get it to just stick with my selection on the infotainment.  This wasn’t a problem in the 7.5
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
Re: CarPlay annoying me
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2021, 20:28 »
I'm loving this message, only cos it shows me that I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by this.

Everytime I get in my car it starts on the last radio station I was listening to, within the first 30 seconds it will switch to airplay, specifically Spotify.

I am on wireless airplay and have tried disabling this only to find that after a few journeys it magically turned itself back on and repeated the self switch again.

I have spoken to my local service department who say they don't know about it and insinuated I was the only person to mention this issue, hence my first sentence.

Good luck on resolving this, I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2021, 00:28 »
I think this is a thing with CarPlay in general, not specific to the Golf, nor indeed specific to VW.
I’ve used CarPlay in a few different cars and I find it annoying at times. E.g. I may have CarPlay connected in the background and the car’s own Nav active but when someone sends me a text / WhatsApp, the CarPlay screen pops up to the foreground again. It feels clunky but I suspect it’s more Apple than the car manufacturer’s fault here.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2021, 08:09 »
Yes it does that. Yes it's annoying in some ways.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2021, 09:32 »
Off topic (but sort of on it!) I was swearing at my car yesterday I was using Car Play and it was just frozen couldn't swipe through change the apps or anything. Plugged it in the same re-booted the car media still the same. Was about to get on the phone to VW but thought i'd reboot my phone just on the off chance. Turns out it was my phone and not the car!!!!  :whistle:

I find with Car Play though that once it connects it seems to drop the radio but doesn't actually play anything but not all the time. If I'm in the car nav and radio I get Car Play messages (Whatsapp etc) pop up and I can click on them to listen to the message. I've not used another car with Wireless car play though so couldn't say whether its the car or Apple!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver