Author Topic: Phew !! Lucky it’s covered Heat shield/ Creaking noise/need new headlight  (Read 2318 times)

Offline nunchuck

• Not said much yet
Just had a call off local vw regarding heat shield under bonnet shrunk. Now new one 👍

Creaking noise when going over rough ground drivers side. Sort hopefully?  They manages to replicate it (creaking)when they took for drive. Used some special Lubricant on all joints seems to have sorted it
They are taking it for another test later and in the morning

It’s stopping in as I need a new headlight !!  What was happening was just in front of car was a beam of light on road
Just in front of car. When on full beam  Apparently the headlight is kaput need a brand-new one

They buy them in for £1200 each  Wow !  But it’s covered thank god.   My car is a 2019. Gti PP. just in case someone else is having similar problems.   
« Last Edit: 29 September 2021, 17:40 by nunchuck »

Online Watts

• Forum addict
By the under bonnet heat sheild, are you referring to the panel that is attached to the bonnet? Mine doesn't fit properly and droops down in one corner, perhaps I should ask about that under warranty?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Based on discussions on forums, under bonnet insulation pads drooping as a result of shrinkage seems to be quite a common problem.

VW seem to adopt their usual inconsistent approach to replacing these under warranty - some are replaced without question whereas others aren’t; where VW have declined warranty claims they seem to do so on the basis of the shrinkage being due to an ‘external influence’ - either heat shrinkage as a result of heat generated by the engine / turbo or by water through improper washing of the car :shocked:.

The majority of the replacements also shrink, so presumably VW’s supplier haven’t changed the materials used in the manufacture of this part.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Thanks for that SR :smiley: So, if the replacements are no better, little point in replacing? I don't recall the issue on my MK7 though?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Perhaps VW used an inferior (cheaper) version in the mk7.5 compared to the one used in the mk7.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Had mine replaced at the last service... no issues, kept my fingers crossed, probably a cheap thing compared to the things I've got mine booked in for at the end of October.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
I just fastened my under bonnet insulation up with a few cable ties, never had an issue since  :smiley:

Offline madstaff

• I live here
I bought some 3M velcro tape to secure my underbonnet sound deadening, thought cable ties might go hard and brittle due to there proximity to the turbo.

The creaky front suspension is cured (??) by using a special grease as detailed in the workshop manual and a TSB.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline nunchuck

• Not said much yet
Under bonnet sound deading. £128 .98

Greased top of shock absorber and bump stop £34 .08.  Hope that works

New near side headlight assembly £1368.85.

All under warranty

Picking up today.   Might ask about extended warranty, looking at those prices.  Well the head lights anyway

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
I take it that as nobody seems to have raised the fan noise from behind the AID that the sound I'm experiencing isn't normal?

This is one of the issues I have mine booked in for along with the creaking front suspension when turning after braking, also the hard piano black plastic around the AID makes a terrible noise over bumps.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.