Author Topic: Rear brake pad/disc recommendations  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Rear brake pad/disc recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2021, 09:35 »
Cheers. That was my thoughts..
Has anyone done it with obdeleven..looks straight forward enough. My only query is once you wind calipers back through the obd tool do you leave ignition on or are you safe to turn off without calipers winding back in.

I have done it with OBDEleven, no battery charger either. Ignition on, then using OBDEleven wind back, turned ignition off, changed pads, ignition on, wind back in then repeat for the other side of the car.

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2021, 09:00 »
Thx for advice. Brembo from ecp got delivered today. I've gone for discs as well. Has anyone done recently that can advise how hard the M14 spline caliper carrier bolts were to do. They look a real pain. Will probably refit the old ones (assuming I can get them out) although some people recommend replacing for new.

Online Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2021, 14:16 »
Thx for advice. Brembo from ecp got delivered today. I've gone for discs as well. Has anyone done recently that can advise how hard the M14 spline caliper carrier bolts were to do. They look a real pain. Will probably refit the old ones (assuming I can get them out) although some people recommend replacing for new.
I did mine last year in a 2013 GTi and they were fine (without any power tools). I re-used the old bolts after inspection, cleaned and lubricated generously with thread lock. I think they are torque to yield bolts from the factory, but they looked in good order so i re-used. If you wanted to be proper you can order from the stealer
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2021, 20:08 »
Appreciate all the advice. Thx

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2021, 11:13 »
I did mine last year in a 2013 GTi and they were fine (without any power tools). I re-used the old bolts after inspection, cleaned and lubricated generously with thread lock. I think they are torque to yield bolts from the factory, but they looked in good order so i re-used. If you wanted to be proper you can order from the stealer

I think you only need to remove them if you have vented rear discs (PP) mine's not so discs came off without removing carrier
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2021, 18:45 »
Ok so some feedback.
Completed pads and discs (rear) today.
Didn't use Batt charger
Caliper 7mm slider bolts were tricky. You probably need a stubby 7mm hex socket as brake line gets in the way.
M14 spline bolts that carrier on were very difficult. You definitely need a decent breaker bar for these. I suspect it woul d be fairly straight forward on a ramp but working off a jack made things tricky.

Obdeleven was the tool I used. Follow instructions on there and all seemed fine.