Author Topic: Deep Black Pearl & Estorils - show me yours!  (Read 2238 times)

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
Deep Black Pearl & Estorils - show me yours!
« on: 24 September 2021, 12:08 »
Hello all,

I’m looking to order a GTI Clubsport soon, I think in Deep Black Pearl.

Has anybody got pictures of, or own a black CS on diamond cut Estorils (my preferred wheel) please?

I just want to make sure that I’m making the right decision!

Regards,
Tom
« Last Edit: 24 September 2021, 12:29 by BanksyGTI »

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
Re: Deep Black Pearl & Estorils - show me yours!
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2021, 15:24 »
few Rs with that spec on VWROC page, theyve created a pinned wheel topic.
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2021, 23:08 »
I have a normal GTI in deep black Pearl but on the standard wheels. I got a great deal on it but it was because it was already built and I had no choice in colour or options. I will be totally honest, if I could have chosen I wouldn’t have gone black as being a weekend worried detailer, they are a nightmare to keep up with and this is no different. However, if you are going to look after it and make sure it’s always got protection on and clean, then it’s an amazing colour. Really pops in the sun. I will be changing my standard wheels at some point and have looked at black wheels but I feel they might be too much with the car being black. This is only my personal opinion though.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2021, 08:22 »
If I was considering Estoril alloys, I’d go for the black version rather than the diamond cut version. I’m not a great fan of black alloys, but I’d have then in preference to diamond cut alloys. I usually own my cars for 4-5 years, and IMHO from a long term ownership perspective diamond cut alloys aren’t a great choice;
  • The durability of the diamond cut finish is quite fragile, especially during the winter months when subjected to the winter road conditions, and in many cases they succumb to white worm corrosion in years 2 or 3 of ownership. Most aftermarket alloy wheel retailers don’t include diamond cut alloys in the selection of wheels for winter use for this reason.
  • They seem to be easily damaged by tyre fitters.
  • They’re more expensive to refurbish then powder coated alloys, and can usually only be refurbished a maximum of twice; more than two refurbs and the wheel’s structural integrity can be compromised, so needs to be replaced.
The above is just my opinion though and there’ll be some owners that love diamond cut alloys and haven’t had any issues with them. I’m not one of those owners though.

I agree with @Boothy1979 that black alloys on a Deep Black Pearl car might be too much black. @BanksyGTI; I’d personally not spend £830 on an alloy wheel upgrade to diamond cut Estorils. I’d get the car with the standard Richmond alloys and buy a set of good quality aftermarket alloys in a highly durable powder coat finish; anthracite would be my choice. Some forum owners have done this with their mk8 GTI’s and GTI Clubsports - there are pictures on the forum; if you use the advanced search facility you should find them. The discussion thread at the link below might also be useful;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287446.0

I’d keep the Richmond alloys though and put them back on the car when the time comes to sell it.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2021, 09:40 »
There's a guy in Dublin with a black CS and black Estorils... he has a YouTube video here which shows it off well - https://youtu.be/Mo-jv6-C3_A

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2021, 09:45 »
There's a guy in Dublin with a black CS and black Estorils... he has a YouTube video here which shows it off well - https://youtu.be/Mo-jv6-C3_A

That actually looks quite good :cool:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2021, 15:05 »
Got to say, I like it. Looks a lot better than expected. Still think a gun mental grey will look a bit nicer but again that’s just my personal choice. It’s confirmed one thing for me, I will be getting the carbon wing mirror covers as been deciding if it’s worth forking out for them.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2021, 16:04 »
Got to say, I like it. Looks a lot better than expected. Still think a gun mental grey will look a bit nicer but again that’s just my personal choice. It’s confirmed one thing for me, I will be getting the carbon wing mirror covers as been deciding if it’s worth forking out for them.

Yes, gunmetal or anthracite coloured alloys go well with most car paint colours IMHO.

CMWheels sell replica versions of quite a few VW OEM alloys. Quite a few owners over on vwroc.com have bought replica Pretoria alloys from CMWheels for the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf R and have been happy with them. They have a version of VW’s Estoril’s that are very good value, price-wise, but I suspect they’ll be quite heavy. There’s a gun metal version of the Estoril’s - available in 18”, 19” and 20”. Link;

https://cmwheels.com/?s=Estoril+&post_type=product

« Last Edit: 28 September 2021, 16:08 by SRGTD »
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2021, 00:13 »
I have a black CS and bought a set of black Pretoria reps from CMWHEELS and more than happy with how the car looks, not the Estorils requested but have a photo of mine anyway.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2021, 15:43 »
I have a black CS and bought a set of black Pretoria reps from CMWHEELS and more than happy with how the car looks, not the Estorils requested but have a photo of mine anyway.

Looks well with those wheels. Are they 19”? Guess the original centre cap doesn’t fit?