Author Topic: Car waxing for beginners  (Read 2155 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Car waxing for beginners
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2021, 19:57 »
Is ceramic coating worth the price to have done?

It depends on each individual person. I've dropped my own cars and clients down for servicing at a range of brands, and every time I get a "What do you have on that car? We've never seen a car shine like that".

But not everyone can care for the ceramic coating properly for me to justify it for them to get it. My rule of thumb is if you can last a year washing a 90% corrected car without adding many swirls you can look after a ceramic coated car.

There's a common view that ceramic coating is a apply and forget situation, like Foxy's car:

A bit about my story with my cars, my previous car was ceramic coated with a 3yr coating, at first it looked fantastic, 12 months in it wasn't beading as much and whilst the paintwork was protected underneath I'd read that it would still need work to bring back to its former glory.

But ceramic coatings are made up of two coatings, A hard coat that helps protect against environmental damage and swirls, and a hydrophobic coating which is your water resistant and glossy coat, these can be applied independently of each other.

The Hard coat - durability 2-5 years depending on brand
The Hydrophobic coat - durability 6 months - 2 years

Along through this you'll need to decontaminate the coating with iron remover, tar remover and you cannot wash the car with any shampoos that contain waxes as these clog the coating and effective dull the ceramic coating.

So it's actually a much more involved care process for ceramic coatings versus waxed/sealants.

Personally on my own car I've PPF Film, a 5 year ceramic coating, a 3 year hydrophobic coating, and I maintain it with a Silica and Titanium Dioxide quick detailer that lasts 6 months itself and produces more beads than an Amsterdam... ehm

I wouldn't worry about leaving new car to "cure". It's well cured by the time you get your hands on it.

Never assume it's original paint Joe! Many new cars I get in have been painted, only a full car paint depth report can tell you if you're safe.

As SRGTD has said earlier Collonite 825 is a great wax, but I've been recently very impressed by AutoGlyms Ultra HD Wax and EZ Car Care Ceramic Wax that clients have put on their cars.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 September 2021, 21:07 »
Each to  their own although I have to agree with WillNI. I switched to AG Ultra HD wax about a year ago and it produces a deep shine and the beading lasts a long time. It only needs waxing a couple of times a year.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2021, 12:41 »
Willni, some really good points and I'd agree with that I perhaps naively thought ceramic coatings was a fix and forget type scenario, I still cleaned the car religiously but perhaps the downfall was my detailer didn't tell me about the care process involved and I neglected to ask!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2021, 18:01 »
Willni, some really good points and I'd agree with that I perhaps naively thought ceramic coatings was a fix and forget type scenario, I still cleaned the car religiously but perhaps the downfall was my detailer didn't tell me about the care process involved and I neglected to ask!!!

I have been there myself, that's how I know! The bare minimum I recommend is a monthly maintenance spray or sacrificial layer to help protect it. But that's just me I don't don't want to see clients back unless there's an issue or repeat business!

I even sometimes wax over my ceramic coat, just to add the nice warmth tone to the red paintwork. I don't advise others do it, but I the change from the clinical gloss from the ceramic.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #24 on: 24 September 2021, 11:29 »
It definitely looked the part when it was done. I think part of me was terrified of damaging the coating

Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 24 September 2021, 12:18 »
I think part of the problem with coatings, waxes and everything in between is that users don’t fully understand what they do and don’t (including me), which is made worse with all the advertising speak that comes with them.

Ceramic or graphene coatings are not for paint protection, they are essentially a much harder outer skin which is good for repelling liquid and dirt. Stone chips, scratches etc will still mark ceramics, and will be much harder to polish out.

PPF is a slight protection for scratches but still not going to help if someone opens a door into the car.

I think you need to consider how you use the car and how you want to maintain it. A good detailer should help you here but most I’ve encountered try to sell the most expensive options.

I wash the cars infrequently so ceramic makes sense for me as the car stays nicer for longer, plus I wanted the prep work on the paint to be locked in, but if you are a person who likes to wash their car every weekend it probably makes less sense to be honest.

You can also add waxes on top of coatings, which will probably extend the coatings life and will definitely help you tweak the finish in terms of colour temperature, but will also reduce its effectiveness as covered by another product.

There really is no right or wrong answer.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2021, 12:22 by Pete-r36 »