Author Topic: Trading in 7.5 for 8  (Read 1764 times)

Offline GTIGeordie

• Not said much yet
Trading in 7.5 for 8
« on: 16 September 2021, 17:52 »
Hi guys, as title suggests I'm interested in trading in for a GTI mk 8.

I bought a mk 7.5 GTI PP new in March 2019. At 19k miles, it seems that due to the great discount i recieved at purchase (and the surge in the used market), the car has appreciated by almost £1k from new!

Due to used car prices surely dropping soon, i was looking at moving to a mk 8. My question is, would i be able to trade-in, and keep hold of my 7.5 until the new car is built? Apologies if this is a daft question, but it would be the main thing holding me back from going ahead with it. Cheers!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Trading in 7.5 for 8
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2021, 18:30 »
You will be able to hang onto your current car. However, I doubt any dealer will fix the trade in value of your car now to reflect its expected future value when you eventually take delivery of a mk8 because of the uncertainty around how long the current trend of inflated / increasing used values will last.

You don’t necessarily need to trade your car in against the new car - there are other options, such as selling to one of the car buying services - e.g. Motorway, Wizzle. They generally offer a better price than dealer would if you’re trading in. However, some dealers are so desperate for good quality stock at the moment, if you were to sell your existing car now, a VW dealer may make you a generous offer.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2021, 20:48 »
When I ordered my Golf R MK8 a few months ago, I managed to get a confirmed trade in price for my current car for when i finally pick the new car up.  This was unaffected by how early or late the delivery of my new car would be.  The trade in price I got, was also the same as what I would have received from Motorway at the time I placed the order the with the dealer a few months ago not when I was estimated to pick up the new car.  So if you ring around lots of dealers you may also strike it lucky and find one who is willing to give you a good trade in deal as well. 

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2021, 08:45 »
The gf was trading in her 1 year old A1 for a Tiguan. She was quoted a price for the car, and when taking into consideration her settlement figure she was £700 in negative. Fast forward two months when the car actually arrived and she had made two more payments AND her car value had gone up by another £500.

We did contact them and they re-quoted her and offered her a better deal.

Ultimately its a risk, in a year you'd have made another 12 months of payments AND the value of the car could continue to rise, however it could also go down. Its a risk at the moment as depending on who you speak to production is starting to recover, yet newspaper reports suggest its here for the long haul and wont recover until next year.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2021, 11:48 »
Aside from the money issue. Does the problems with the mark8 software not put you off considering you have a well sorted 7,5 to enjoy

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2021, 13:27 »
In regard to lead times for production.  The Golf R Mk8 I have on order, had a lot of optional extras thrown at it, most the list infact.  Due to this, I was expecting the lead time to be pushed back a lot due to chip shortages, pandemic and other variables... such as VW always having a very long lead time to produce and deliver factory built cars.  But if what my Dealer told me this is to be believed, then I think my car which I ordered back around may this year, might actually have commenced with production last week (as build week was confirmed as build week 36).  I will give the dealer a call again this week and if I find out anymore I will keep you posted.  As it will be interested on what the lead time might be on a heavily specced car like mine during this uncertain time.  The last Golf R I order took around 7 months and that was not during a pandemic or chip shortages. So if my Golf 8 is being built as I type this email, then it has had a shorter timescale than my last Golf for build and delivery?

Offline GTIGeordie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2021, 15:45 »
Aside from the money issue. Does the problems with the mark8 software not put you off considering you have a well sorted 7,5 to enjoy

I'm not too worried about software issues (I mustn't have read enough posts on this forum). It's mainly just the desire for something new and not taking a hit after almost 3 years of ownership.

Offline GTIGeordie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2021, 15:47 »
In regard to lead times for production.  The Golf R Mk8 I have on order, had a lot of optional extras thrown at it, most the list infact.  Due to this, I was expecting the lead time to be pushed back a lot due to chip shortages, pandemic and other variables... such as VW always having a very long lead time to produce and deliver factory built cars.  But if what my Dealer told me this is to be believed, then I think my car which I ordered back around may this year, might actually have commenced with production last week (as build week was confirmed as build week 36).  I will give the dealer a call again this week and if I find out anymore I will keep you posted.  As it will be interested on what the lead time might be on a heavily specced car like mine during this uncertain time.  The last Golf R I order took around 7 months and that was not during a pandemic or chip shortages. So if my Golf 8 is being built as I type this email, then it has had a shorter timescale than my last Golf for build and delivery?

That's pretty crazy, I wonder if they're prioritising R orders over GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 22:34 »

Seriously, as good as the mk8 is I really wouldn’t bother.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GTIGeordie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2021, 19:24 »

Seriously, as good as the mk8 is I really wouldn’t bother.

I've decided to stay put. The choice was made harder when my partner was open to the idea of me spending my own money on treating myself, which doesn't happen often!