Author Topic: This is not a b!tch but…..  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: This is not a b!tch but…..
« Reply #40 on: 29 September 2021, 03:12 »

Splashalot, in the interests of science and following on from comments here I popped into MINI today, as I had an hour to kill, and took their demo car out for a spin...........Just like after driving the ID.3 it was nice to get back in my Golf again though.

You, Sir, are a legend!  Thank you very much.  This ^ is probably the closest I will get to a test drive with the current scarcity of stock at all dealers.

Your last paragraph I think sums up the mental gymnastics I'm going through.  No matter what alternative I think of, I always seem to end up deciding the GTI is a nicer drive.  But I think maybe this Mini EV may just be close enough in driving enjoyment.  The whole EV/running cost/environment thing is another rissue entirely, and obviously in favour of an EV.  So it's an issue of getting as close as I can to the GTI's driving enjoyment and involvement in an EV. 

Thanks again, Exonian.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 29 September 2021, 05:33 »
Well, if you need a further test drive just ask  :laugh:

Fun it certainly is. I can see these getting a bit of a cult following.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 29 September 2021, 10:03 »
As the instigator of this thread, I have found it fascinating to see the directions the conversation has taken.
It’s what I like about this forum, like sitting in the pub with all contributors, having a pint and let everyone ruminate on the subject.
This and some other Mk7 and Mk8 topics seem to come round again and again to the same conclusion…… it’s difficult to find another car that ticks so many boxes, unless of course you have more than one car in your drive!
My car history would suggest I should be changing about now but this won’t be happening regardless of where prices go. I just don’t see any point in taking a leap into the unknown when I am comfortable where I am.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 30 September 2021, 08:13 »
As the instigator of this thread, I have found it fascinating to see the directions the conversation has taken.
It’s what I like about this forum, like sitting in the pub with all contributors, having a pint and let everyone ruminate on the subject.

Yes, it's a ripping forum. I find it a fountain of information - there are some very knowledgeable people such as Exonian and Fred (and others I've missed) - I've learnt heaps here.   And I especially enjoy "ruminating over a pint" aspect. 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 30 September 2021, 10:25 »
Yeah we like to talk cars and stuff.... like you say, it feels like being down the pub with your mates.

Unlike some forums which are unfriendly and constantly confrontational or just plain boring :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 14 October 2021, 18:03 »
I think knowledgable would be stretching it somewhat as regards to yours truly but thanks anyway Splashalot  :kiss:  :grin:

Time to order another jar of real ale from the bar and let Thomas do the talking for a while:
https://youtu.be/yrDUsCq1rzY

This car is coming your way Splashalot  :cool:

After driving the ID.3 myself, I think the Born shows a bit more promise if ordered in the right spec.
I’d researched the ID.3 a little ahead of me driving it back along after being offered one for a couple of hours. Thinking back I realise I’d got into the ID with the intention of being both subjective and objective to see what I thought I could put up with as regards to trim level and interior design/quality. The intention was to go in open minded after reading a lot of negativity plus having an idea of the design brief to build the car to a price (expensive battery plus Dieselgate fines to pay) and the carbon neutral claims (less parts used equals less environmental impact and less build cost as a side benefit).
Now, we’ve all been brainwashed into thinking soft touch plastics everywhere are the answer to all interior evils, which in reality is a crock of sh1te unless you habitually use the top of your dashboard to bang your head on. You can have attractively textured non spongey plastic or cloth or…
Anyhow, the interior design of the ID.3 might lack soft linings everywhere but I found I wasn’t really bothered in the slightest by that. I was more bothered by the lack of character. A load of shiny fingerprint and scratch magnet black plastic sure isn’t using forward thinking design flair to break up the rest of the matt grey drabness, it’s lazy and outdated. As I said before, it’s an appliance car.

The Born addresses a lot of the flaws of the ID.3 without going overboard on cost (hopefully).
With luck the main drawbacks of floaty ride, nosediving under braking, dreadful Sound-system (unless you pay £40k plus) etc etc will be either not there in the first place or easily optioned around. That’ll keep the ID.3 strengths such as real world acceleration and manoeuvrability packaged up with a less crap interior.

Kinda reminds me of the mk3 and mk4 days where VW punted out garnished turds whilst those of us who actually enjoy the experience of driving something more focussed bought Cupras. Times changed with the advent of the Mk5 GTI but have we gone full circle again with the electric offerings?

I still prefer the MINI Electric despite its huge drawbacks.

I also still think a 7.5 Performance Golf is the perfect package for modern motoring. Hold firm everybody!

https://youtu.be/YkGeCUYdNoo This is what driving fast electric cars reminds me of, a short burst of violent energy followed by silence!
(Great song for traffic light Grand Prix though)

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 15 October 2021, 01:16 »
Thanks for that, Exonian.  :smiley:

I think you may be onto something there.  I've been following the Born's Aus. release with interest and reading reviews.  And like you, to my tastes I think the interior much improved over the ID3.  I would have to be certain I could live with the touchscreen, though.  But if the software is sorted by release, possibly? 

No luck with a Mini Electric test drive here - none available.  I did, however, score a test drive in the Ioniq hatch (not the new Ioniq5).  Well, blow me down....I loved it!  The relative silence, the EV torque shove and the sublime ride (on 16" chubby tyres) had me seriously considering.  But then, the same old thing happened: got back into the GTI to drive home and thought "Oooh, this is rather nice.  In fact, very nice".

Gee they're such a hard car to replace, these 7/7.5 GTIs.  They do so many things very well indeed.  I think I'll hold fire until the Born is released and if the price is reasonable and it drives as expected, seriously consider one then.  In the meantime, I'll just have to keep slumming it in the GTI!  :wink: :grin:

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 15 October 2021, 21:07 »
Spotted an ID4 today whilst parked and I must say it actually looked very nice from the side.

The Mk7/7.5 golf is very much like the mk5 in that it's very hard to move on, if it wasn't for the lovely interior and tech of the mk7, I think I'd have a mk5 gti as my daily.

Don't worry my Ed30 is still the garage queen and isn't going anywhere  :wink:

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 16 October 2021, 22:30 »
I really dislike ID.4’s. Everyone in the world seems to want a car the size of a battle tank now. I just don’t get it. Smaller and lighter is far more efficient.

Now Ed30’s are more like it. A good little investment and such nice cars to drive  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 16 October 2021, 23:08 »
I really dislike ID.4’s. Everyone in the world seems to want a car the size of a battle tank now. I just don’t get it. Smaller and lighter is far more efficient.

Now Ed30’s are more like it. A good little investment and such nice cars to drive  :smiley:

I dislike them too - and they have a really puny, feeble sounding single tone horn :grin:. A guy who lives near me is a VAG salesman and is currently using one. Honks the horn every morning when he leaves for work to amuse his young daughters. It sounds like something you’d expect to find on a 1970’s BL Mini.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl