Author Topic: ‘Mode’ button on steering wheel  (Read 1412 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
‘Mode’ button on steering wheel
« on: 29 August 2021, 21:07 »
Hey everyone,

Sorry, this is a geeky question and probably something that I shouldn’t even be thinking about but….  :smiley:

In my searching for a Mk7.5 GTI PP, I’ve noticed that the ‘Mode’ button on the steering wheel changes to a little icon of car with what I can only describe as being surrounded by brackets.

I’m aware that there was a standard spec jump for the 2019MY (keyless, lane assist, dynamic lights) and I thought this might have been associated with that but I’ve now seen this on a 2018/68 car.  Does anyone know if there’s a difference in function for the this button or was it just a visual change?

Thanks in advance.
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Online Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: ‘Mode’ button on steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2021, 23:04 »
Where have you seen the Mode button on the steering wheel?

The only Mode button I have is down next to the Stop/Start one or via the Infotainment screen.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2021, 00:00 »
Just checked again and found the following images.  It has a cruise control icon above it where as the later style doesn't... but is there a functional difference.   :huh:

This from a 2017MY:-

And this form a 2019MY:-

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2021, 07:49 »
Same function, different graphic.

It selects either cruise or speed limiter or off.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2021, 09:36 »
Brilliant, thanks!  Just want I needed to know.  :smiley:

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2021, 07:03 »
That central button with the car with brackets underneath is used when the adaptive cruise control is on, it selects one of 5 distances for you to follow the car in front.

Either press it 5 times to cycle through the distances (which can be seen on the grey logo that appears when ACC is active) or press it once and use the controls to the left and right to increase / decrease the distance.

It is boring I know, but the car manual has tonnes of info such as this and without knowing the features you can be unaware of useful things the car can do. The manuals are available online.

For instance, the rocker to the L + R of the button normally selects the ACC target speed in 5mph increments, but not everyone knows that you can fine tune it by using the RES and SET buttins to change the target speed by +- 1mph.

Also in the mode settings (the button by the gear lever) if in individual mode, you can select how aggressive the ACC is in maintaining the selected speed.  I have everything on sport mode except that (and engine artifical sound), as the ACC really surges to keep the speed eg when a slower car pulls over. 
« Last Edit: 01 September 2021, 07:06 by martin998877 »
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2021, 12:45 »
That central button with the car with brackets underneath is used when the adaptive cruise control is on, it selects one of 5 distances for you to follow the car in front.

Either press it 5 times to cycle through the distances (which can be seen on the grey logo that appears when ACC is active) or press it once and use the controls to the left and right to increase / decrease the distance.

It is boring I know, but the car manual has tonnes of info such as this and without knowing the features you can be unaware of useful things the car can do. The manuals are available online.

For instance, the rocker to the L + R of the button normally selects the ACC target speed in 5mph increments, but not everyone knows that you can fine tune it by using the RES and SET buttins to change the target speed by +- 1mph.

Also in the mode settings (the button by the gear lever) if in individual mode, you can select how aggressive the ACC is in maintaining the selected speed.  I have everything on sport mode except that (and engine artifical sound), as the ACC really surges to keep the speed eg when a slower car pulls over.

That's not what was being asked about

Offline ROF1984

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2021, 23:13 »
Curious to see if there is any update on this topic?
« Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 23:16 by ROF1984 »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 06:52 »
Curious to see if there is any update on this topic?

I think @fredgroves answered the OP’s question in reply #3 of this discussion thread.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl