Author Topic: Mk7.5 Stop/Start  (Read 8689 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: Mk7.5 Stop/Start
« Reply #50 on: 24 December 2020, 23:36 »
Here’s a thought. Have they managed to refine it in the Mk8?
VW must have had plenty neg feedback.....no?
I think the bottom line is, leaving aside all the advice, S/S simply does frequently cut out before the car stops and then immediately restarts again as soon as the car is at rest then the engine keeps running. I mean....WTAF is that all about.
No, unless you are stuck in a traffic jam this feature does not save fuel.
And........in the good old days of yore, if I thought I was going to be stopped for more than a couple of minutes in a jam I would use my judgement and turn the key off.
Mind you, most people didn’t and still don’t. But then “ most people” aren’t really drivers, are they? They are users of the car as domestic appliance. Just look around you.
End of old bloke rant!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #51 on: 25 December 2020, 09:35 »
It's not about your fuel bill. If a million cars are automatically stopped for five seconds every day, every year... What is that in overall co2 reduction? That's what it's about.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 25 December 2020, 10:51 »
It's not about your fuel bill. If a million cars are automatically stopped for five seconds every day, every year... What is that in overall co2 reduction? That's what it's about.

Spot on Fred.

Yes, that’s precisely what it’s all about - reduction in CO2 levels - and that’s the reason why the default for S/S is for it to be active. Also, if it was the other way found and the resultant emissions levels were higher, we’d be paying higher first year VED as I dare say many cars would move up into a higher CO2 band. VW would also be hit with heavier emissions-based fines (CO2 target is 95g/km in 2021 for a manufacturer’s fleet of new vehicle sales). VW, or any other manufacturer for that matter, wouldn’t be absorbing the cost of those higher fines - they’d be passing them onto the customer in the form of higher list prices for their cars.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #53 on: 25 December 2020, 15:59 »
Last time I checked vw were on course for a several billion euro fine at the end of 2021
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 25 December 2020, 22:37 »
So VW, just make it work in a nice, satisfying way on a GTI 245 DSG and I will be a happy driver. If your regular experience is only with manual cars, you may not realise why some people b!tch about it.
I had a manual S/S before this and thought it was great.
Anyway, I’m moving on from this topic.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #55 on: 18 September 2021, 19:11 »
So, after the last post I chickened out and reconnected “ the wire”
9 months on I still hate S/S.
Has anyone else disconnected the wire and run their car over a long period?
If so, was there any downside like shorter battery life, increased fuel consumption or warning lights?
I’m still trying to understand exactly what the downside of disconnection is.
If any techie knows, can they list exactly what consequences await the disconnector.
And to my PM correspondent, if you read this long string you can see where we got to in Dec 20.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 18 September 2021, 19:15 »
Incidentally, at my last service the wire was still disconnected and the VW servicing garage did not come back to me with a fault or “ advisory” on collection.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 18 September 2021, 23:45 »
OK. This is the solution. Get rid of the feature by disconnecting the wee wire on the battery.
Simples. I did it v shortly after getting my 7.5. Never looked back.

Remember that wire also monitors batter voltage when charging. It s not just for the S/S system.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 19 September 2021, 09:10 »
I do not find s/s a problem on the 7.5 gti manual and from comments is only really an issue with dsg cars. I sometimes worry about the possible wear on mechanical components such as turbo and starter motor and wonder if the co2 saving is offset by more frequent component replacement that creates more co2?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #59 on: 19 September 2021, 09:42 »
It’s a DSG problem. 
I was quite happy when I had a manual car.
The main gripe is the unpleasant and obtrusive way it kicks in and out sometimes. And unpredictability which is absent with a manual.
You can only really understand this if you have owned both.