Author Topic: Notchy gears  (Read 2160 times)

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
Re: Notchy gears
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2021, 20:04 »
I’ve noticed it’s much better when the car is good and hot after a long drive. I need to get my a part replaced on the car next week so I’ll have another chat with the dealer
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2021, 08:05 »
@brian1983 I hope you got your notchy gear shift sorted?

Driving mine over the last few weeks I’ve been thinking what a nice gear shift it is.

I think it has also got better with time. Just feels more mechanical as time has gone on.

Absolute pleasure to go up and down the gears.

If yours doesn’t feel like that, you’ve definitely got an issue. I would say even if VW don’t agree there’s a problem, i think it would be worth getting a good independent to adjust the gear linkages.

I can’t imagine that would cost much, and would make a massive difference to the enjoyment of the car.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline magic36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2021, 09:10 »
@brian1983

I have just purchased a mk7.5 gti PP and thought the gears felt notchy too and couldn’t find anything about it so just assumed it was me being used to driving a van with a loose gearbox!

It sort of feels like it doesn’t go straight in, it sort of pops….. I’m not sure if this is like what you’re experiencing?

Either way I hope you manage to get it sorted!

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2021, 18:07 »

Driving mine over the last few weeks I’ve been thinking what a nice gear shift it is.

I think it has also got better with time. Just feels more mechanical as time has gone on.

If yours doesn’t feel like that, you’ve definitely got an issue. I would say even if VW don’t agree there’s a problem, i think it would be worth getting a good independent to adjust the gear linkages.

I can’t imagine that would cost much, and would make a massive difference to the enjoyment of the car.

If you want an even better shift try thishttps://www.boombaracing.com/gti-r-transmission-adaptor/
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2021, 20:25 »

If you want an even better shift try thishttps://www.boombaracing.com/gti-r-transmission-adaptor/

I think Watts had one of these, when he drove a proper GTi

A long throw doesn’t bother me at all, as long as it feels slick, precise and mechanical.

I’m not racing.

My pug has a very long throw but just feels great.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2021, 08:03 »
I had an Audi S3/TT short shift on mine, 100% oem part and would thoroughly recommend it. About £45 from Audi.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2021, 17:54 »
Mine felt a little notchy when I first got it but has improved over time and I think a little silicon spray on the linkage under the airbox initially helped. All fine now. Not sure a short shift would make much difference if notchy initially?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2021, 20:30 »
Thanks all for your ideas, I've just got used to it and I think it's normal from talking to a mate who has the same GTI as me.
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2021, 21:21 »
VAG decided for the MQB platform to replace all the metal linkages on the top of the gearbox & those around the gearstick with...PLASTIC!!

Result is loads of slop & being unable to get a 100% alignment on the cables...

I swapped both the arm & relay plate on the top of the gearbox for metal, then removed the bushes in the cable eyes & fitted bronze inserts. Then removed the plastic main pivot pin for the gearstick & fitted the Diesel geek machined aluminium one, along with the delrin bushes for the gearstick shaft...much better & shorter due the OEM metal Audi plates/arms I used..

Most info is in this, but my gearbox has the arm/plates the opposite way around to yours...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-modify-improve-the-gearshift-for-a-mq250-gearbox-on-a-mk7-golf.326589/