Author Topic: Help can't open car  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help can't open car
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2020, 18:26 »
Ha.. I had a whole conversation with VWUK about the warning, or lack of, I think there was a time period where for some cars it was missed off . I got no warning with mine and was stuck in twice, once unable to unlock it in a remote dark location and once unable to lock it in a public car park . The manual and VWUK seemed to think there should be some warning.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2020, 19:26 »
Non keyless does warn you. Never had keyless to try.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2020, 20:50 »
Thanks for everyone's replies. I was panicking when I posted as had school run and couldn't open my damn car.
Sorted at VW today. They replaced the batteries in both key fobs for £9 and I can open my car again  :rolleyes:
Still seems odd to to me the batteries only last 8 months or so but they didn't seem surprised.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2020, 21:00 »
PS to pick up on comments re warning, I had no warning battery levels on the key fobs were low. Does seem an oversight and an easy thing for VW to fix.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 18 November 2020, 21:17 »
Thanks for everyone's replies. I was panicking when I posted as had school run and couldn't open my damn car.
Sorted at VW today. They replaced the batteries in both key fobs for £9 and I can open my car again  :rolleyes:
Still seems odd to to me the batteries only last 8 months or so but they didn't seem surprised.

Judging by discussions on various forums, it’s not unusual for owners with keyless to have to change their key fob batteries at around 12 months; sometimes sooner as you’ve had to.

My 2020 Polo GTI+ has keyless. I picked the car up a couple of months ago and already have a spare replacement battery for the key fob in the glovebox and another in my wallet in case the existing battery dies unexpectedly without warning.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2020, 18:46 »
So to avoid the minor inconvenience of reaching for a key to open a car you have to accept the inconvenience of keeping spare batteries in wallet and car, keeping the key in a special pouch and occasionally getting locked out.
Well at least VW can show customers a longer options list and sell more cars.
Whatever next, steering wheels that warm your hands?

Well if you have keyless entry you should also store the keys in a signal blocking pouch or box to stop the car getting easily stolen  :grin:. The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion and I'm glad my model has a key

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2020, 19:05 »
I used to have to change the keyfob battery in my old 14 plate Gti(non key-less)  approx every 10 months or so, it did used to give me a warning though.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2020, 19:17 »
I just disable the keyless entry whenever I park up at home. I too would prefer not to have it but it has so just have to get on with it. Changing a battery now and then is hardly a major issue.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 19 November 2020, 19:28 »
I just disable the keyless entry whenever I park up at home. I too would prefer not to have it but it has so just have to get on with it. Changing a battery now and then is hardly a major issue.

I do this (disable keyless) too. I also would prefer not to have keyless but didn’t have a choice as it was part of the standard spec. on my car. Agree, changing the key fob battery isn’t an issue and takes literally no more than a couple of minutes - and I’m prepared, as I’ve got spares in the car and my wallet. Hopefully my spare batteries are genuine (I didn’t buy them off a dodgy internet site!).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 19 November 2020, 19:43 »
Same here, have gotten into the habit of disabling the keyless upon parking up so no change of remote theft... fingers crossed!
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG