Author Topic: Help can't open car  (Read 8504 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Help can't open car
« on: 17 November 2020, 15:25 »
My 2019 plate golf r won't open. It's keyless so I normally just grab the handle. The first key fob packed in six months ago, now the spare key fob won't open the doors either. I've tried normal keyless entry and pressing the open button on both key fobs but no luck.
Hard to believe two key fobs have gone in a car that's only 18 months old.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong please?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Help can't open car
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2020, 15:33 »
battery?

Check the manual for how to open the door when keyless fails but you will need new batteries.

The batteries don't last long.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2020, 15:33 »
I would guess batteries. I don't think they last all that long with keyless entry.

You can still get into the car by removing the little cover next to the handle and opening with the key. Remember those days of unlocking a car by inserting a key in the lock!

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2020, 15:46 »
Definitely batteries, mine lasted a similar amount of time :sad:
+1 mb, take the cover off the handle and use the key, does take a little effort to prise the plastic cap off.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2020, 15:47 »
Thanks both, I reckon it is batteries as used one key exclusively and that lasted about 8 or 9 months, switched to the second key and that's lasted about the same.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2020, 16:13 »
Thanks both, I reckon it is batteries as used one key exclusively and that lasted about 8 or 9 months, switched to the second key and that's lasted about the same.

Keep a spare key fob battery in the glovebox and another in your wallet. That way you’ll be prepared in future if (or when) it happens again.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2020, 18:03 »
I would guess batteries. I don't think they last all that long with keyless entry.

You can still get into the car by removing the little cover next to the handle and opening with the key. Remember those days of unlocking a car by inserting a key in the lock!

Does keyless have push button start, therefore no ignition key slot? In the old days, if you unlocked the door manually, the alarm would go off, and you'd need to turn the ignition on to silence it.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2020, 18:51 »
Presume you’re sorted now..but there is a bit you can flick off on the door handle to use the key if the battery fails. It happened to me early on but strangely enough not since then in the same time frame, if that makes sense. Unless it’s because I use a faraday pouch at night which saves some battery. But as others have said I now have spare batteries secreted all over the place  :smiley:

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2020, 18:54 »
Realised 2 others already mentioned the bit of plastic removal.. must have been a larger glass of wine with my tea than usual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2020, 18:58 »
must have been a larger glass of wine with my tea than usual

I prefer a biscuit with my tea, but each to their own  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC